Relief carving Z-zero point

CNC related queries on software; firmware; DOS; Windows; parameters; programming; error messages etc.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

TrevStanford
Hardware/Software: MicroRouter Compact 2005 - Win 10 PC, Techsoft 2D Design V1, VR Milling V5

Relief carving Z-zero point

Post by TrevStanford » Sat 19 Feb , 2022 13:02 pm

Hi, still finding my way..
If I carve a relief in a block of wood with 2 passes, how do I find z-Zero for the second tool if it is around 20mm shorter than the first tool.
A first roughing pass uses a 1/4 ball mill which is 65mm long. The second finishing cut uses a shorter 40mm 1/8 ball mill.
I have been measuring the protrusion from the router head with both tools in and working out the difference to add to the Z-Zero value on the work offsets before starting the second pass. Is there a far easier way to do this. It not easy to put the second tool in the router to exactly the same depth each time. The first pass removes the initial Z-Zero point in the centre of the model, should I leave a small piece on the block like an island to use as the Z-Zero?
I have a Microrouter Compact.
Many thanks

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Relief carving Z-zero point

Post by Martin » Mon 21 Feb , 2022 12:17 pm

You will need to set the Z offset for each additional tool when setting up.

You can set the Z for each tool in the Tooling Data tab. If you change to tool 2 & insert the tool you can touch on the top of work & set the offset for each additional tool.

The only issue then is the tools need to be in fixed position so you could measure the length they protrude form the motor or use quick change toolholders that allow the tools to fixed in position.
Attachments
Quick Change Toolholders.pdf
(66.27 KiB) Downloaded 192 times