Speeds & Feeds display in VRMilling 5

CNC related queries on software; firmware; DOS; Windows; parameters; programming; error messages etc.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

callumsnowden
Hardware/Software: Denford Router 2600 Pro

Speeds & Feeds display in VRMilling 5

Post by callumsnowden » Wed 24 Mar , 2021 14:58 pm

Hi all,

Got a slightly funny issue with the speeds & feeds display and override controls when using VRMilling 5. I have generated a toolpath (using QuickCAM 2D Design) that should have a 13000rpm speed and 400mm/min feed which turned out to be a bit too quick for aluminium machining.

When the program is running and VRMilling is set to auto, the correct feed & speed is displayed in the toolbar (13000rpm and 400mm/min) — however when I adjust the feedrate override control, from 100% down to a lower value, on the router the spindle speed remains the same as expected but the feedrate display jumps to a programmed feed of 5000mm/min and an actual of 6000mm/min?!

Is this normal behaviour? I'd expect that turning down the feedrate override would reduce the feedrate from 400mm/min (which happens), and also that change would be reflected in the VRMilling status bar — rather than the current behaviour which is a reduction in feedrate but the display showing 5000mm/min programmed and 6000mm/min actual.

I've attached the 2D Design file (remove the .txt extension on the end) and also the produced .fmc file, if that is of any help.

Any advice and help would be appreciated!
Attachments
test not so square.MCM.txt
(80.6 KiB) Downloaded 307 times
test not so square.fnc
(3.54 KiB) Downloaded 309 times

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Re: Speeds & Feeds display in VRMilling 5

Post by TDIPower » Wed 24 Mar , 2021 18:27 pm

I have seen this happen as well,

To double check when using the manual override you are able to slow or speed the spindle up BUT the display does not reflect the speed of the spindle and give very miss leading values?

If so yes I have seen this, I did not upgrade to the latest version of the VR5 as the microrouter and pro had disappeared from the machine list and wasn't in the legacy list either.

I can't check which version I have in school as it has all been packed down due to a bit of a refit happening over Easter

Pete

callumsnowden
Hardware/Software: Denford Router 2600 Pro

Post by callumsnowden » Thu 25 Mar , 2021 10:11 am

Hi Pete,

When using the manual overrides the speeds and feeds do adjust, but yes they're not reflected in the VRMilling display and it gives misleading values.

I had a bit of a faff yesterday and noticed that they are reflected correctly if turbo mode is turned off, but milling pauses as expected when the controller updates the computer with current values.

I think we're running the latest version of VRMilling (grabbed it from the Denford website when the router arrived the other day) and oddly enough the Router 2600 Pro still showed up for me?

Thanks for your help

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Thu 25 Mar , 2021 20:54 pm

Im on older machines, the Microrouters not the 2600.

One thing I did notice it would jump up to display the max travel speed when doing rapid moves as it should but then loose its head when it came to displaying the actual speeds in action.

It has to be an issue with VR5 being able to display things correctly which is frustrating but to be honest with the work I do it tends to be machining by ear. we set thing high and dial back, trying the get kids projects machined within the day