Parallel Licence issue

CNC related queries on software; firmware; DOS; Windows; parameters; programming; error messages etc.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

nattrassj12
Hardware/Software: Denford Micromill, Denford Microturn

Parallel Licence issue

Post by nattrassj12 » Fri 04 Sep , 2020 13:48 pm

I can't seem to get my Parallel dongle to be recognised, I was wondering.. do I need an active device plugged into the back of it to be picked up from the VR software?

This is my last straw on getting the software to work before ripping this machine apart.

Is there any other methods I could use to get this working? I've asked Denford but they aren't too knowledgeable on the Parallel Dongles.

Thanks,

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Re: Parallel Licence issue

Post by TDIPower » Fri 04 Sep , 2020 20:11 pm

it just plugs in to the parallel port, it is a pass through device and has a socket on it so back in the day you could still plug your printer in.

I am sure there was/is something about being able to use the VR2 software without the dongle,the later licence came on a floppy disk and it added a line of code into the software to enable it, so there was a way to do this. You would need to have a good read through the threads.

If you are using a more recent computer (remember VR2 was good back in the days of Windows 95, 98 and XP) you may need to go into the BIOS on the PC and set it up, I would try the different settings, I think it ECP EPP, it's been a long time since i did anything with the dongle and VR2.

Pete