seckey.tff file not found when it is present

Help and advice for Denfords lathe control software VR Turning.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

mdonnelly

seckey.tff file not found when it is present

Post by mdonnelly » Wed 17 Jun , 2009 11:07 am

Denford Admin wrote:
Q. When starting the VR CNC Turning software, a "Dongle Not Found"
error message appears.

The registration floppy disk must be installed. If you recently reinstalled the CD-ROM, be sure to install the registration floppy disk by running A:SETUP in Windows. If you have tried to reinstall the floppy disk, but the error is still occurring, please view pdf technical article #1012
I have looked for the Flash.ini on our install disks but they only contain a software key.
The VR software tells me to click to install from disk but does not give me a method to do it.
This is a site license version.
Any ideas?

Thanks

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: VR Turning v1 - common frequently asked questions problems

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 17 Jun , 2009 11:23 am

A seckey.tff will work with VR Turning v1 though - just drop it into ..\program files\denford\vrturning and make sure you have installed the latest version of VR Turning

mdonnelly

Post by mdonnelly » Thu 18 Jun , 2009 12:03 pm

I have put the ttf file in the directory but it still tells me that the license is not found.
(I have put this on a Vista machine will that affect it?)

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 18 Jun , 2009 14:27 pm

Vista will be ok - send me the seckey.tff, there must be something wrong with it, either that or you don't have the latest version of vrturning

Send to technical (at( denford }dot{ co .uk

mdonnelly

Post by mdonnelly » Fri 19 Jun , 2009 13:28 pm

Have sent it by email.

Thanks

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 24 Jun , 2009 9:04 am

Hi - sorry for delay, I've been away.
Tried your file in my \denford\VRturning folder, and VR Turning runs fine with it.
I can only think there could be a networking drive, path or shortcut issue which is preventing the software from finding the seckey file.

mdonnelly

Post by mdonnelly » Fri 21 Aug , 2009 11:29 am

We have installed the software on another pc and now have the same problem. The software key is not copied during the installation to the program directory. then when you run the software after it asks you to install the key.
If you just cancel this, the next time you try you get a security check message. "License not found" It give you the option to exit and install from floppy, but the floppy does not have and exe file on it so you cannot. We have installed this on another machine and copied the key into the program directory fine and it works. BUT the first machine is now in a security check loop we cannot get out of.

Thanks

Mike Donnelly.

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 21 Aug , 2009 13:42 pm

Make sure all version of Turning are the latest - v1.22 which you can download from here:
http://www.website.denford.ltd.uk/suppo ... -downloads

As I said before, putting the seckey file in the correct location (wherever vrturn.exe is) will let the s/w recognise it and will not ask you for anything else. (Must be the later versions of VR Turning though)

mdonnelly

Post by mdonnelly » Fri 21 Aug , 2009 14:37 pm

Denford Admin wrote:Make sure all version of Turning are the latest - v1.22 which you can download from here:

As I said before, putting the seckey file in the correct location (wherever vrturn.exe is) will let the s/w recognise it and will not ask you for anything else. (Must be the later versions of VR Turning though)
We downloaded the latest software version and the seckey if deff in that directory, appears to be stuck in a loop (maybe from an older version of the software) tried reinstalling but goes to exactly the same problem.

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Fri 21 Aug , 2009 14:46 pm

Can you confirm the software is VER 1.22?

Go to Help and about

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Fri 21 Aug , 2009 14:48 pm

Have you been to the control panel - add/Remove software

Then remove any Denford VR turning software before installing then copy the licence key in.

mdonnelly

Post by mdonnelly » Fri 21 Aug , 2009 14:59 pm

Steve wrote:Have you been to the control panel - add/Remove software

Then remove any Denford VR turning software before installing then copy the licence key in.
Completely removed the software through add and remove, went through the registry and deleted anything to do with Denford.

Ran the software you sent, it recognised the key in the directory. Tried to run the upgrade which took us the the screen to find the key again, but when we restarted the software it still went back to the security screen.

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 21 Aug , 2009 15:00 pm

I have tried this loop myself by removing the seckey file (see screenshots)
When I put the seckey file back, though, it all works fine...

Can you double check the startin directory of the shortcut, or try running the software by clicking vrturn.exe directly from the C:\Program Files\Denford\VRTurning directory. All I can think is that the software is not able to locate the current directory because of a network/installation configuration
Attachments
seckey-not-found.jpg
seckey-not-found.jpg (199.38 KiB) Viewed 23549 times

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 21 Aug , 2009 15:05 pm

Also make sure HKLM\Software\Denford dosn't have any keys

mdonnelly

Post by mdonnelly » Wed 02 Sep , 2009 8:55 am

Appologies, been off for a week.

Tried as you suggested but it still takes us straight back to the same screen, then exits the software and opens a window for the a: drive.

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 02 Sep , 2009 12:28 pm

This all sounds like its an old version of the software still... I can see no reason why running the same version of VR Turning software, with the same seckey file on my PC would perform differently on yours, unless your installation, networking setup, paths or shortucts are different.
As you can't get into the s/w to check the version, you can find it in the properties of VRTurn.exe.
May just be worth removing the sw and re-installing from the latest version downloaded from here:

mdonnelly

Post by mdonnelly » Thu 03 Sep , 2009 8:51 am

Denford Admin wrote:This all sounds like its an old version of the software still... I can see no reason why running the same version of VR Turning software, with the same seckey file on my PC would perform differently on yours, unless your installation, networking setup, paths or shortucts are different.
As you can't get into the s/w to check the version, you can find it in the properties of VRTurn.exe.
May just be worth removing the sw and re-installing from the latest version downloaded from here:
The software is 1.22.2.45 you can see it before it goes off, it is the latest version.
Can they change something in the software to remove the old lock and send a new version? the software key needs to be copied automatically from the disk too, like the other 2D software.

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Re: seckey.tff file not found when it is present

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 04 Sep , 2009 10:46 am

After going through this on the phone, it appears that the machine in question has some kind of file security system which was causing very strange results.
Briefly:
From file explorer, the user could not see any seckey.tff file in the program files VRTurning directory

However, when he ran regrights.exe (available here: http://www.denfordata.com/downloads/RegRights.zip ) it DID find a file in the directory, but it was the wrong one (it was a QuickTURN 2D license)
If he copied the proper seckey.tff into the folder, regrights would still find the "phantom" file and say it was quickTURN - the new file was proved to be the correct one by copying seckey.tff and regrights into a new, blank directory and running regrights - this then reported the seckey file WAS for VR Turning.

The problem was solved by deleting the visible seckey from the directory, running regrights and browsing to the same folder and deleting the "phantom" seckey file from within the regrights file browser. Copying in the correct seckey file then sorted it and let VRTurning run.

I can only assume that there is a file system installed, which tries to control or hide access to files it dosn't think you should be changing :dumbfounded:

PS the customer is now experiencing diffculty opening .fnl files from VR Turning....
They can open the file in notepad and copy and paste the text into the editor, but if the use File>Open, only the 1st character from the file is loaded ! Again I can't really explain what could be causing this, other than a file security or network system setting. TBC...