F1 Car Wizard and billet size

Help and support using the 3D and Bitmap Machining CAM packages:
QuickCAM 3D, QuickCAM 3D Pro, QuickCAM 4D (rotary axis CAM)

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Ant
Hardware/Software: Denford Microrouter Pro

Latest ver 5 + Q Cam etc

F1 Car Wizard and billet size

Post by Ant » Tue 29 Jan , 2019 12:28 pm

Hi,

After finally getting our school PCs sorted out I am starting to use the Quick Cam Pro F1 car wizard (again!).

Since we haven't used QuickCam Pro nor V5 for a few months I have forgotten more than I knew! It is a slow painful process getting back into the software but we are making some headway. I have probably asked this question before but where does the car wizard get the billet size from? Our wizard shows a billet of 212mm length whereas the billet (F1 block) is actually 225mm.

Can the above be changed and if so how? I assume I could work around this but wondered if I am missing a setting somewhere?

Many thanks,

Tony

Ant
Hardware/Software: Denford Microrouter Pro

Latest ver 5 + Q Cam etc

Re: F1 Car Wizard and billet size

Post by Ant » Tue 12 Feb , 2019 16:38 pm

Finally, I realised that this dimension is not too important!

I didn't use the car wizard in the end but I am sure it would have been okay.

We made our first car and all seems well, apart from the jig holding the block which we found was not set square to the bed!

Much fun and messing about with a dial indicator to try to resolve above. All is as good as we can get it based on the fact we need to press on as we are running out of time to get all the cars completed for the competition this Friday.

Tony

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: F1 Car Wizard and billet size

Post by Steve » Thu 14 Feb , 2019 7:45 am

While the billet is 225 long the value used is 212 being the maximum machinable area. The billet is clamped by the fixture at the nose end of the block and the 212 value give a few mm of clearance so you don't machine the clamp.