Lithoplane Model Z level

Help and support using the 3D and Bitmap Machining CAM packages:
QuickCAM 3D, QuickCAM 3D Pro, QuickCAM 4D (rotary axis CAM)

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Jeff Chandler

Lithoplane Model Z level

Post by Jeff Chandler » Fri 01 May , 2009 10:13 am

I have been making lithoplanes for a while with fantastic results. Just recently I have had a few cut throught the billet. I noticed that the model Z level was not reading 0.000 but 1.000. (see pic 1). This is machine that is conncted to the router. I have a site license and other machines read 0.000.
Q 1. If I change the CNC output Z level to 1 will this correct the problem (see pic 2)
Q 2. Can I change the model Z value
Cheers
Jeff C
Attachments
Will this correct.JPG
Will this correct.JPG (15.05 KiB) Viewed 9879 times
Model Z Depth.JPG
Model Z Depth.JPG (19.97 KiB) Viewed 9879 times
Denford Machines ROCK!!!

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 01 May , 2009 12:10 pm

I don't think thats the way to fix the problem...the Z datum position adjustment will change the Z values that go into the CNC program. Its purpose is to let you specify how and where you set the datums on the machine.
eg, If you set the machine so Z datum is tool touching on the top of the table, then you'd move the datum to the bottom of the billet in QuickCAM Pro and all Z values would be output above Z0.0 ie, positive - as opposed to the norm where all Z values are below Z0.0 which is usually where the tool touches onto the top surface of the billet

The Model size of 1 is an arbitary number, and only means anything when you're working with 3D STL models, not image reliefs.

You need to go back and check the image relief depth, billet depth and model position (see photo)
I set the image relief depth to 1.5mm
Billet depth (Z) to 3mm
When setting the model position, as this picture, I've left a gap of 0.5 between the bottom of the billet and the bottom of the relief. Which leaves 1mm (0.9999) between the top of image and the top of the billet.
If the images are cutting through, try move the model position up by increasing that 0.5 bottom value.

Hope that makes sense :shock:
Attachments
model-position.jpg
model-position.jpg (11.05 KiB) Viewed 9874 times