Using the F1 jig to cut a 4th Axis

Information and tips about the F1 In Schools, 4x4 In Schools and GT Racing in Schools challenges.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Ant
Hardware/Software: Denford Microrouter Pro

Latest ver 5 + Q Cam etc

Using the F1 jig to cut a 4th Axis

Post by Ant » Wed 08 Dec , 2021 12:40 pm

Hi all,

Has anyone used the 'old school' F1 in Schools jig to successfully cut the 4th axis?

I have done the above on a hit a miss basis simply by setting up the F1 block as a billet, creating new offsets for the orientation (underside of the car) and managed simple (limited) routing - ensuring I go nowhere near the Jig fixture. I wondered if there was a way of using the old jig in conjunction with QuickCAM Pro and the car wizard for the 4th axis?

Many thanks,

Ant

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Using the F1 jig to cut a 4th Axis

Post by Steve » Tue 14 Dec , 2021 18:37 pm

The QuickCAM CAR Wizard will only create the sides of the car. If you want to cut from the top and bottom you have to make the offset calculations yourself but they are not too difficult.

I am not sure what you mean by an Old F1 Fixture? It should be possible to mount the car in 90 degree increments on all the fixtures we have supplied and if the Origin is set in the centre of the spiggot the datum is the same from all x side.

Yo just need to be aware when cutting the top of the car th e top of the block is 21mm above the Z 0 When cutting the bottom of the car the bottom of the block is 29mm above the origin.

Wen cutting the sides the top of the block is 32.5mm above the origin.

Ant
Hardware/Software: Denford Microrouter Pro

Latest ver 5 + Q Cam etc

Re: Using the F1 jig to cut a 4th Axis

Post by Ant » Tue 11 Jan , 2022 14:15 pm

Thanks Steve.

A very happy New Year.

I need to machine a gradient base slot on the bottom of one or two cars.

Would it be okay to create another set of offsets to deal with the fact the block is sitting in the jig with the bottom (tether slot) facing upwards and still use QuickCam pro to deal with everything else?

Or is there an easier way?

Regards,

Tony