Feed speed chart

All info relating to Viceroy machines - Lathes, sharpedge, drills etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Artysmarty
Hardware/Software: Denfird viceroy lathe

Feed speed chart

Post by Artysmarty » Mon 14 Oct , 2019 19:47 pm

DSC_1112.jpg
Hi could any body throw some light on the top line labelled "stud Gear" when selecting feeds. Are they referring to "change gears". I can find no references anywhere to the ABCDEFG to which it alludes
DSC_1112.jpg (433.89 KiB) Viewed 7582 times

LesT
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: An old Viceroy with a half installed invertor drive,(when I can decide where to put the control pushbuttons I will wire it up properly)
A WMD25V mini mill.
Tractor, Bobcat 320, and Dumper truck.
7 sheds, about 5 (?) mowers. etc, etc.

Re: Feed speed chart

Post by LesT » Mon 14 Oct , 2019 20:25 pm

Hi,

If you open the change gear cover at the left end of the lathe there should be a " parking " stud with a collection of gears on it, towards the rear.
If you have these gears, and examine them you will find they are marked with letters, A to G, if you don't have them you are in a bit of trouble !

Regards,

Les.T.

Artysmarty

Post by Artysmarty » Mon 14 Oct , 2019 20:51 pm

Hi Les

Not only do I not have the gears but also there doesnt appear to be a stud on which they should be hung.
Were do you position the gears (if you have them)

rpwilson
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: None. I own a pre CNC Denford 280 Synchro lathe.

Post by rpwilson » Mon 14 Oct , 2019 21:07 pm

Don'[t worry about the stud. Theres supposed to be one inside the hinged cover on which are stored the spare gears A-G, but my 280 Synchro didn't have one from new. Its a convenient storage spot, so I fitted one. it also makes it much harder to lose them.

Not having the gears is a problem, as you've already been told. They should be 'A' 16T, 'B' 18T, 'C' 22T, 'D' 24T, 'E' 26T, 'F' 27T, 'G' 35T.
If you remove the gear from the end of the tumbler gear output shaft, you should find that it is one of these, the letter will be clearly stamped on it. They are 16DP, 20 degree pressure angle, which is the modern standard, so if you have to get replacements from HPC or Moffet gears, the teeth will be the right shape.

Richard

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: 280 VS lathe, Denford Senior E-type mill, Senior Major Universal Mill

Post by Andy B » Mon 14 Oct , 2019 21:07 pm

As in attached picture - the stud with the stack of unused gears is circled lower left, and the stud gear in use is circled in the centre.
Andy
Attachments
stud gear.jpg
Stud Gears
stud gear.jpg (101.99 KiB) Viewed 7570 times

Artysmarty

Post by Artysmarty » Mon 14 Oct , 2019 21:34 pm

Hi Richard

Thanks for the info.
Will get hold of my vendor and see if he can shed some light on whats happened to the change gears (fingers crossed)

Artysmarty

Post by Artysmarty » Tue 15 Oct , 2019 13:16 pm

Hi Andy removed the stud gear on my lathe as per marked photo.
No letter on it just the number 24 which from your description makes it the "D" gear.
Does this mean I can only use the combination of feeds that has the D listed on the plate.
Regards Art

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: 280 VS lathe, Denford Senior E-type mill, Senior Major Universal Mill

Post by Andy B » Tue 15 Oct , 2019 13:38 pm

Artysmarty wrote:
Tue 15 Oct , 2019 13:16 pm
Does this mean I can only use the combination of feeds that has the D listed on the plate.
Correct - but that still gives you as good a range of feeds as you'll need for most jobs (as amateurs we don't need to optimise speed / feed rates) and a lot of the common metric thread pitches.

Andy

Artysmarty

Post by Artysmarty » Tue 15 Oct , 2019 18:24 pm

Thanks for that Andy