Viceroy gearbox gears.

All info relating to Viceroy machines - Lathes, sharpedge, drills etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Pete.
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Viceroy gearbox gears.

Post by Pete. » Tue 08 Oct , 2013 22:29 pm

Ok I have had a bit of a mishap with the feed/leadscrew gearbox on my metric VS280 Synchro. Basically it looks like the rack has been slightly mis-aligned so each gear had only been half-engaged by width. Had a tool edge weld up and put a big load on the gears and it's got too much for the reduced engagement so now I have a couple of gears with the teeth mashed on half their width, namely the 20 tooth (No1?) on the layshaft and the 27 tooth sliding gear with integral fork slot right at the bottom on the swinging cradle. The 28 has a slightly nicked tooth too but that will dress out.

What I want to know is:

What DP and PA are the gearbox gears?
Are the metric gears and imperial gears interchangeable by tooth count?
Is there a drawing for the QCGB clusters?
Does anyone have any of these to sell?

It's very unfortunate for me as I have just agreed to sell the machine. Or fortunate, however you look at it, since I wouldn't want the new owner to think I had done them over.

Thx, Pete.

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: 280 VS lathe, Denford Senior E-type mill, Senior Major Universal Mill

Re: Viceroy gearbox gears.

Post by Andy B » Wed 09 Oct , 2013 16:27 pm

Pete,

Sorry to hear about your gearbox problems.

Answers:
What DP and PA are the gearbox gears? - 14DP and 20 PA
Are the metric gears and imperial gears interchangeable by tooth count? From the parts lists, yes they appear to be. Both Metric and 'English' boxes for the 280VS models show the 20T gear as being part ML115/938 - so I'm guessing they were also the same for the Synchro machines and interchangeable with the 5" lathes also
Is there a drawing for the QCGB clusters? The Metric gearbox drawing for the 280VS model is BVS115/900M. I don't know if this was exactly as used on the Synchro models, but will be a good starting point.
The individual gears are in here -
http://www.denfordata.com/downloads/for ... 0scans.pdf
20T gear - ML115/938
I don't see a 27T in the parts list - but not all gears have teeth numbers indicated. So see if anything in the pdf above matches

Does anyone have any of these to sell? Sorry, can't help there

Hope that helps a bit.

Andy

Pete.
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Pete. » Wed 09 Oct , 2013 20:51 pm

Andy, thanks very much for that drawing pack.

The 27 tooth gear is the tumbler gear on page 4. I had already worked out the DP as 14 but wasn't sure on the PA. I figured it would be 20 degrees because the other gears I made are.

As it turns out, the two basic gears I need are avaliable from HPC at around £15-20 each and just need the bore size and thickness tweaking a bit and a keyway cut, so I think that this is what I will do if I can't find originals. I'll get the 27 with the boss so I can add the shift fork extension on the side by silver soldering or something.
Attachments
vs280gears.JPG
vs280gears.JPG (55.07 KiB) Viewed 3943 times

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: 280 VS lathe, Denford Senior E-type mill, Senior Major Universal Mill

Post by Andy B » Thu 10 Oct , 2013 7:48 am

Pete,

Glad you found the drawings you need so easily.
I dug out various lathe assembly drawings yesterday evening - including the gearboxes.
Hope to get them scanned and posted up today.

Andy