Denford Vicerory TDS1 PCS in a sorry state _ Rebuild?

All info relating to Viceroy machines - Lathes, sharpedge, drills etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

jeff1137

Re: Denford Vicerory TDS1 PCS in a sorry state _ Rebuild?

Post by jeff1137 » Mon 02 Jun , 2014 16:50 pm

Hi
This is a great post, photos & info please.
Will be doing my lathe soon.
:lolol:
Jeff
Thank you for the advice, it is all ways welcome.

Hevans
Hardware/Software: Viceroy TDS 1/2 PCS

Post by Hevans » Thu 26 Jun , 2014 21:50 pm

Hi

I am new to the forum and have just acquired a Metric TDS 1/2 PCS with a view to learning how to use it for making small parts for steel bicycle builds. The lathe was working when I collected it but I had to break it down by removing the apron from the bed, and the bed/headstock from the cabinet which required unlinking the brammer belt between the intermediate pully and the headstock. I have put it all back together but need to reconnect the belt and can't see how it can be done because it was under slight tension when removed. There are two tensioning screws holding the intermediate pully but they are rock solid.

The lathe is ex-college and doesn't seem overly worn but has been mistreated as evidenced by the dings in the bed. The changewheels are missing but it does have 3-jaw and 4-jaw (missing backplate) chucks, tailstock chuck, steadies, quick change toolpost and various tools. I have downloaded all the manuals and drawings and figured out how all the parts and switches work but am still puzzling over the belt.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Hywel
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (130.01 KiB) Viewed 6322 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (110.24 KiB) Viewed 6322 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (109.73 KiB) Viewed 6322 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (119.04 KiB) Viewed 6322 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (103.36 KiB) Viewed 6322 times

rpwilson
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: None. I own a pre CNC Denford 280 Synchro lathe.

Post by rpwilson » Fri 27 Jun , 2014 0:50 am

Hi
I'd try reconnecting the belt with it 'off' the top pulley, therefore slack, then feed it over the edge of the pulley with one hand while pulling the chuck round with the other. This should wind the belt back onto the pulley. Failing that, you will have to slacken the adjusters. There are some Viceroy change gears on ebay at the moment if you need any, but I think its due to close soon.

Richard

Hevans

Post by Hevans » Fri 27 Jun , 2014 6:40 am

Hi Richard,

Of course, thanks for pointing out the obvious. I did see the change gears on ebay and bought one, but I have the metric lathe and they are the wrong number of teeth - or can I get away with odd combinations which get close?

Thanks for the info
Hywel

Pete.
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Pete. » Fri 27 Jun , 2014 7:07 am

The only thing it will affect is screwcutting. If you want to cut a thread you need the correct gears for that pitch.

Taylon
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: Standard PC using Firefox Browser.
Denford Viceroy TDS/PCS version 2 Metric Lathe

Post by Taylon » Thu 03 Jul , 2014 10:27 am

Hello Hevans,

Your PM systems is disabled so cannot reply to you directly, so posted on the forum.

Its fine and only too pleased to help if I can. I have a 100 tooth change wheel here but I am missing the compound 66/18 tooth change wheel from the full set. The change wheel setup is shown in the hinged end cover for the lathe. There are 2 versions of the lathe; one metric and imperial. The lead screw and the change wheel carrier are specific for each type of lathe. I suggest you refer/search for posts on the forum for more details.

I do not know of your location but you are welcome to come and have look and see the setup in real life if that is any help to identify any missing parts.

Really for the lathe to be useful the fine feeding change wheels are needed to allow the powered feeds via the saddle control to get good surface finishes. Hope this info helps and please keep in touch.

Kindest regards, John R.

Hevans

Post by Hevans » Thu 03 Jul , 2014 22:12 pm

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. I have enabled the pm but probably best to communicate on the forum for the benefit of others. From looking at the drawings this is what I understand a full set of idler and changewheel gears for my metric lathe should be. The ones which I posses have indicated with 'Yes' :

Changewheels
16t
20t
24t
28t
32t Yes
40t
48t Yes
80t

Idlers
66/18t Yes
72/18t Yes
100t

I recently bought some 27t, 18t, 22t, 24t, 66t, changewheels on ebay from a Viceroy lathe but they have a DP of 16 rather than 18, so from a later model I suspect - lesson learned!

As you can see, I am missing quite a few but do have the compound gears. I have set up the gear train using the wheels which I have. It looks like there are various washers and spacers that need to be present in order to line up the gears, so this is what
I was wondering about.

Thanks greatly of the offer to compare your set-up but I am in Plymouth so a trip to Staffordshire would be a trek. If I am up that way I will let you know and take up the offer. In the meantime I will post some detailed photos of the parts and how I have arranged them.

Your refurbishment job looks really impressive by the way, but my complete refurb will have to wait a while until I have time. I am a complete novice at lathe work but looking forward to learning; I want to use it for my steel bicycle frame construction projects.

Best regards
Hywel

LesT
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: An old Viceroy with a half installed invertor drive,(when I can decide where to put the control pushbuttons I will wire it up properly)
A WMD25V mini mill.
Tractor, Bobcat 320, and Dumper truck.
7 sheds, about 5 (?) mowers. etc, etc.

Post by LesT » Sat 05 Jul , 2014 16:49 pm

Regarding having bought unsuitable change wheels off Ebay....
My advice is - don't worry!
I have on several occasions bought things which turned out be unsuitable, all you do is put them back on Ebay with an explanation. On one occasion I got more than I had paid by a good margin including postage costs.
Les.T.