280 Synchro, switch panel wiring details

All info relating to Viceroy machines - Lathes, sharpedge, drills etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

bradders
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

280 Synchro, switch panel wiring details

Post by bradders » Mon 07 Apr , 2008 7:23 am

The 280 synchro has a switch panel mounted on the lower left area of the machine.
Behind this panel are 3 Terminal Blocks / Solenoid switches.
One of the coils of the solenoid switches went OC and the Terminal block to which this solenoid is attached was removed in an effort to get the coil replaced or rewound.
Owing to an unfortunate mishap we now need to find a copy of the external wiring connections between all 3 of these Terminal blocks.
Our request is that someone in your department may either be able to supply us with a copy of these connections or if not, one of your staff may know of the location of one of these machines in a workshop somewhere, anywhere in the UK, where we may be able to make some enquiries about this problem.
We are located in a small village, Wrangle near Boston, in Lincolnshire and if you know of anyone owning a 280 in this area that would be even more helpful.
Thank you for your time and we do hope that one of you staff may be able to help us.
Thanks
Robert Woodhouse

bradders
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by bradders » Mon 07 Apr , 2008 9:46 am

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: 280 VS lathe, Denford Senior E-type mill, Senior Major Universal Mill

Wiring Diagrams

Post by Andy B » Mon 07 Apr , 2008 10:11 am

Some (all?) of the 280 Synchros have a plate on the front of the contactor box (centre of the cabinet stand).

The one I have a picture of shows the wiring diagram numbers A3/500014, 15 & 16.

A quick search of the sketch book index lists drawings SK633 (3 phase) and SK634 (1 phase) as 'Synchro Lathe Wiring diagram', along with SK641 "Synchro - Control box Wiring, 3 Phase"

Should be possible to work it out from a combination of these I would think.
If not, PM me with an email address - I have a few contacts with this type of machine.

Andy
Attachments
Synchro plate.jpg
Synchro plate.jpg (40.11 KiB) Viewed 7379 times

bradders
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by bradders » Mon 07 Apr , 2008 10:15 am

Andy,

Thanks for that, hopefully the customer will monitor your post. I will have a hunt round and see if i can find the drawings and upload them

robert.woodhouse2

Post by robert.woodhouse2 » Tue 08 Apr , 2008 19:42 pm

Thanks for your interest Andy
I'm new to most of this so did you thinnk that I would have those drawings?
Unfortunatly is no paper work what-so-ever so I can't use that route.
I'm afraid that my photographic skills don't match yours, my photo of the ID plate is difficult to readm so I've, hopefully, attached the details to this reply. hope it works
Thank you for your help so far.
Robert. Woodhouse
Attachments
DETAILS ON THE INDENTIFICATION PLATE FOR THE DENFORD VICEROY SYNCHRO.doc
If this is not sufficient Andy do please let me know
(19 KiB) Downloaded 695 times
I enquired about the above machine and Graham Bradley put onto your Forum page.
The site will not let me log on, something is wrong but don't know what so I'll register again if that's OK.
Thank you, sorry for the trouble.
Robert.Woodhouse

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: 280 VS lathe, Denford Senior E-type mill, Senior Major Universal Mill

Post by Andy B » Thu 10 Apr , 2008 11:30 am

Robert,

Welcome - now you've managed to register and post successfully.

No, I didn't expect you to have those drawings - but hopefully Bradders can find them in the dusty old drawing chests!

Please send me a private message with your email address, then I will pass it on to one or two of the contacts I have with a similar lathe. It was one of them who took the picture I used, and I'm sure he would take a few pictures or trace a few wires in his machine to help you out.

Andy

edited for spelling

bradders
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by bradders » Thu 10 Apr , 2008 11:33 am

Andy,

I have had a look for the drawings but am unable to find them. I will have another rummage round later

robert.woodhouse2

Post by robert.woodhouse2 » Thu 10 Apr , 2008 21:19 pm

Thank you Andy for your help so far.
If you could send any information that you may come across to
robert.woodhouse2@virgin.net that would be extremely helpful.
There are only a couple pf the connections that are proving difficult but I'm not sure how I would identify them for you.
We are getting so concerned that I did think that if we,i.e.you! could find such a machine of the correct vintage I would even come up to Yorkshire to see for myself, if the owner was agreeable of course but hopefully we may be able to do something without that.
It would not be such a chore actually, you see although I personally am not a Yorkshire man my son-in-law certainly is and I could combine such a trip with one of my many visits to him and his lovely family.
Just a doting grandad as you can see!
Anyway I'm sure that you and your contacts will do your best for us and we are most grateful for that.Hope to hear something from you soon.R
Robert.Woodhouse
The site will not let me log on, something is wrong but don't know what so I'll register again if that's OK.
Robert.Woodhouse

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Andy B » Wed 30 Apr , 2008 8:23 am

I was just having a delve through the scans of the drawing index book, and came across a page that I didn't remember seeing before.
Page 330 has various wiring diagrams of 280 Synchro lathe variants, as well as TDS6 wood lathe, the 250, etc.

I don't have time in the near future to type them up into Excel - but this post can at least act as a prompt if anyone wants some info before I get round to it.

Andy

edited for spelling
Last edited by Andy B on Wed 30 Apr , 2008 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

robert.woodhouse2

Post by robert.woodhouse2 » Wed 30 Apr , 2008 9:42 am

Just seen your note on the Denford 280 Synchro Andy.
I think that the help that Peter Barker gave me will probably be enough but just in case and for future reference if anything else goes wrong, perhaps I could have a copy of tjose circuit diagrams when you get the time to copy them.
I would be grateful.
Thanks for your help
Robert.Woodhouse
Robert.Woodhouse