TDS1/1 Countershaft drive components

All info relating to Viceroy machines - Lathes, sharpedge, drills etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

gNick

TDS1/1 Countershaft drive components

Post by gNick » Wed 03 May , 2023 13:37 pm

Hi all,

After having problems with oil contamination belt slip on my Viceroy, I have noticed that the countershaft mounts are different to standard, the 'forks' have been machined off and the shaft is just bolted directly to them. This means that there is no way to slacken off the drive belt to make it less awkward to fit.

Does anybody have the drawings of these parts: SP128A (brackets), SP129A (shaft) & SP161 (adjusters)? I haven't been able to find much in the way of SP drawings.

Alternatively does anyone have the parts that I could buy or borrow to copy?

Ever hopeful

Cheers
Nick

Nand
Hardware/Software: TDS 1/2pcs metric lathe. sharpedge TDS12/16

Re: TDS1/1 Countershaft drive components

Post by Nand » Sat 06 May , 2023 12:58 pm

Hi Nick,

I had similar belt contamination problems which required a belt change and attendant fitting and tensioning issues this week. My machine has (I assume) the original version of countershaft assembly.
Using Viceroy designation, bracket(forked) SP128A, Spindle(shaft) SP129A, Adjusting screw (slotted) SP161. The parts are shown in one version of drawing ML100/600. This drawing is available on page 4 of the forum as "Viceroy Drawing TDS1/1 GB Drawing 16" posted by Alan in July 2015.
There is however another version of drawing ML100/600
This version shows , bracket(no forks) SP128C, Spindle SP129A. Adjusting Screw SP161B. This version is available as page9 in the manual listed under the announcements section of this forum.
The later version of adjusting screw seeems to be a threaded stud with a flanged stop at the casting face. My copy of the parts list for this drawing also gives the start material for this component as 5/16" dia x 2.5" MS ie no flange material.
If you now refer to the lathes website, Viceroy section, amongst the photos there is a picture (suds pump)of the countershaft assembly with the spindle moounted on threaded rod with no flange(that I notice). That would be consistent with the parts list of material.
If I have understood your situation correctly, then the bolts can be replaced by the threaded rod adjusters fitted in later production and retain your original components. Other members may also describe further variations of the countershaft arrangement on their model.
Hope this helps
Neil