Triton Pro Tool Changer wiring diagram.

All info relating to the Denford Triton and Triton Pro milling machines. (Project Lead the Way)

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

MisterFixIt1952
Hardware/Software: Denford Triton Pro, 2005. Purchased used, came from England with no software or tooling. ATC with no QCT holder in spindle.
CAD/CAM - Fusion 360
Control - Next Move ST RS232 & USB CURRENT NOV 2005
Since I have no software, I plan on converting to LinuxCNC

Triton Pro Tool Changer wiring diagram.

Post by MisterFixIt1952 » Mon 09 Nov , 2020 12:35 pm

I just purchased a Triton pro with an 8 tool, tool changer. It has the Omron servos and a Baldor servo spindle. I have downloaded all of the schematics from the forum but I have not seen any reference to the tool changer in the schematics. Since I did not get theVR5 software, that came with the Triton, and the company that originally bought the machine no longer exists, I need to convert the mill to Linux CNC. I plan on using a Mesa card in a Linux computer with a Mesa breakout board replacing the Baldor Nextmove ST card. If I'm careful, swapping the wires from the Baldor Nextmove to the Mesa card, and reassigning the correct pins in the Linux CNC hal file, shouldn't be too bad (I hope).
:dumbfounded:

Although this is my first CNC machine and definitely my first servo one, I have a reasonably good grasp of the fundamentals of the axis controls. The Omron drivers just use step/direct and enable, just like a stepper. I think the Baldor spindle servo uses analog control signals 0-10v but I don't have any information about the servo installed in the Triton pro. The Baldor Microflex drive FMH2A09TR-EN23, which runs the spindle servo, will run step/direct or analog 0-10v but based on my brief look at the schematics, it looks like analog for the spindle, according to the schematic. I need to make sure that my Mesa card will do step/direct and analog plus be able to control a butt load of stop switches and relays. Also, the schematic shows stop resistors on the Omron drivers but I couldn't identify any inside the panel. I'll see if I can trace them down, using the schematic, once I dive into the panel to install the Mesa card. I'm sure a lot of things will become more obvious when I start tracing wires and doing the hookup. Right now it's just a lot of wires and looks rather intimidating.
:delirious:

None of the panel pictures or component diagrams for the Triton pro show my model with the Baldor Microflex and Omron drivers although they are indicated in the latest schematic posted (I think). They aren't clearly marked as such and many of the schematics reference the Triac mill, which is similar, but different. Also, many of the 3 letter descriptors on the schematic are not described, as to function, in the schematic but I think they are crossed referenced from the manufacturer's product guide. Despite these problems and the relative complexity of the pro system, it's good to, at least, have some type of schematic.

The one schematic that is missing is the (8) tool changer. There is no mention of the tool changer on any of the schematics. The tool changer is a combination of pneumatics and electronics (relays, etc.) and is somewhat complicated as its implementation is sequential, requiring a series of events, in the correct order and timing. Any information, schematics, diagrams or photos, would be much appreciated. I'm not sure how to implement the tool changing sequences of events in Linux CNC but I'm sure I will find out. As a former IT tech with a mechanical engineering degree, I know I have the skills and knowledge to pull this off, given time, but since I just turned 68, I hope I have enough years left to work out all of the problems and get this wonderful machine making chips in my shop. If not, I'll die trying
:lolol:

Thanks for your help,
MisterFixIt1952

MisterFixIt1952
Hardware/Software: Denford Triton Pro, 2005. Purchased used, came from England with no software or tooling. ATC with no QCT holder in spindle.
CAD/CAM - Fusion 360

Re: Triton Pro Tool Changer wiring diagram.

Post by MisterFixIt1952 » Sun 14 Mar , 2021 1:57 am

It sure would be nice if someone would answer my post! I still don't have the correct schematic diagrams for the Triton Pro with the Baldor Microflex spindle drive and the Omron Smartstep servo drives and an 8 tool ATC. The Triton Pro diagram posted here does not have the Baldor Microflex or the 8 tool auto tool changer.

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Sun 14 Mar , 2021 10:43 am

I will see what I can find on Tuesday.

MisterFixIt1952
CAD/CAM - Fusion 360

Post by MisterFixIt1952 » Tue 13 Apr , 2021 7:59 am

Still waiting for a reply.

I just bought a Mesa 7i76e card to convert the Triton Pro into a LinuxCNC machine. It would be much easier to do the conversion if I had a schematic of the Triton Pro with the Baldor spindle, the Omron servos and the 8 tool carousel tool changer. Having no schematic and only partial wiring diagrams for similar machines with different hardware makes for an interesting puzzle. After reading over just about every schematic and wiring diagram for all of the mills, I am fairly confident that I can do a wire by wire transplant for the Baldor Nextmove controller to the Mesa 7i76.

While trying to decide on which Mesa card to buy, a not so small task in itself, The problem was made harder by not having a schematic. The 7i76 comes in 2 flavors, NPN & PNP. As my electronic skills are marginal, at best, and I am constantly confused by pull-up and pull-down resistors and such, I took a guess and bought, what seems like the most popular 7i76e card. I trust that Denford uses fairly standard design practises so I shouldn't encounter any tricky/weird wiring anomalies (like my old Morris Minor auto with the positive ground wiring scheme, what's with that?).

Since I have no software for the existing controller, I cannot turn on and test the Triton. Therefore I have no way to check voltages or any of the logic connections, e stop, end stops, etc. I am basically driving without a map and hoping I don't run off a cliff while driving blindfolded.
I really don't want to connect up my new $250 Mesa card, thinking all is well, then accidently letting out the magic smoke. :dumbfounded:

Wiring the tool changer with it's pneumatics, motor and limit switches will be another interesting bit of sleuthing without a schematic or diagram.
Any help is much appreciated.

MisterFixIt1952