Starturn sta conversion software

All info relating to the Denford StarTurn CNC lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

black5f
Hardware/Software: 2 lathes, manual mill, cnc mill, home brew software etc

Starturn sta conversion software

Post by black5f » Sat 26 Mar , 2011 12:37 pm

Hi Starturn users

I wrote this windows program for a mate some years ago. Basically it converts .sta files to text format, and will read txt files (which are in the correct format) and convert them to .sta and optionally write the .sts.

He had no problems. I have only verified it on the Starturn Dos software running in dosbox. I don't have a Starturn to test it on! So I accept no responsibility for the results! Use at own risk! There is no support (my limited time). I have my own cnc mill with a Baldor servo card and wrote all the drive software for it if thats any qualification!
It does not check the syntax, does not check that the gcode is of the correct limited subset, does not check file length. But does allow text editing of sta files.

It's free unless you make a profit out of it! If anyone is interested they can have the source, but if you make any money, don't forget me ;-)

If somone would like to verify it that would be great. If there are bugs, they can be attended to ... in time. Not tested on win7. It's standalone, virus checked as much as is possible, just run the exe. The important additional file is generic.txt, this contains the default sts parameters.

Enjoy!
Tom
Attachments
dist.zip
(226.31 KiB) Downloaded 598 times

black5f

Re: Starturn sta conversion software

Post by black5f » Sun 27 Mar , 2011 11:42 am

Should add, alist.txt is a list of g / m codes I believe the Starturn understands?
Tom

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 28 Mar , 2011 8:49 am

Thanks for that - tested it here with this test file I found, on win7 64-bit and it seems to have worked ok.
Attachments
WORK.zip
(3.07 KiB) Downloaded 603 times

black5f

Post by black5f » Mon 28 Mar , 2011 18:45 pm

That's good, hope it's of use to someone. My mate used it to transfer and backup the files he had and also to take code produced by his windows CAM system, on to the starturn. We rigged up a simple network to make things easier.
It's written in Delphi 7 (Pascal). The .pas files are quite readable on any text editor though for anyone who wants to write a sta post? STS files are just text, the sta's are old binary format using the old dos 6 byte floating point numbers (in Delphi pascal supported as; type real48) but with patience, can be picked to pieces.
Tom