Hardware/Software: 1995 Denford Starmill
smartstep 3

millcam designer v2.2a
Fanuc md
2d design

starmill help needed

Post by Rowhill » Thu 15 Dec , 2011 14:39 pm

Hi all,
Hoping for some help. I have a 1995 starmill and licenced millcam designer 2.2a and fanuc 1.96.

the machine appears to power up but i cant get it to move. i have 2 25pin to 9pin converters set up with yutor keyboard on com 1 and machine on com 2 (both 9 pin).

i can start and use millcam designer but it always comes up post processor problem and does not save the fnc file.

when i use fanuc miller it all seems to work in software but i cant get the machine to move at all.

is there a way i can use in manual mode? perhaps without the desktop tutor which does not seem to do anything.

In short the desktop tutor and or the computer do not seem to communicate with the machine. what can i try next?

Rowhill
smartstep 3

millcam designer v2.2a
Fanuc md
2d design

Re: starmill help needed

Post by Rowhill » Thu 15 Dec , 2011 16:54 pm

One thing i notice is that the fanucm software and fanucmd all seem to be offline versions, so i dont understand how these machines were used since that is all the software there was? how do you use the machine in manual mode? can i get a working online version.

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Thu 15 Dec , 2011 17:56 pm

You will need to download Fanucsmd to control your Starmill.

http://website.denford.ltd.uk/support/9 ... s-software

You will also need to download the driver2 from thw same page.

To connect the machine to the computer you need a RS232 lead. It sounds like you are trying to connect using a 9 to 25 straight converter. It would have been supplied with a 25 to 25 way RS232 lead & 2 converters. One to connect the Desk Top Tutor & the second to convert the RS232 lead down to a 9 way if requiered.

Rowhill
smartstep 3

millcam designer v2.2a
Fanuc md
2d design

Post by Rowhill » Tue 20 Dec , 2011 20:21 pm

Well i have made only slight progress

built a DOS computer and am running programs in DOS

FANUC OM (as originally supplied with machine) works but i still cant get machine to do anything, the same is true of the FANUCM and FANUCMD programs i got from this site the software all works but nothing i do gets the machine to respond.

STARMILL (downloaded from here) works fully except that in machine link the message comes up saying it can't see the starmill check remote is on and rs232

FANUCSMD will not load as it cannot initialise mint controller again pointing to rs232 problem.

In control box all seems to be working the 7 segment display reads L with the dot blinking on the smartstep 3 controller.

I have checked and rechecked the .GO files, bios and device settings and all is correct; machine on com2, tutor on com1. i have swapped them over and tried with only the machine in both 1 and 2.

I am using the original cables as supplied by DENFORD and the tutor works with FANUCMD as it should but with or without the tutor i still cant get the machine to do anything.

how do i get manual control? I have to say i am not exactly clear as to what to do in the program to make the machine work, i am assuming <home> then jog or traverse to set the datum, have loaded FNC files and then run program but nothing,

any pointers as to where next?

i have ordered a new 25pin connector and a 9 pin connector and i will make up a new cable to see if that helps also can someone confirm that i can connect a 9pin to 9pin between computer and serial connector on the smartstep board (below the battery)? to see if that cracks it.

I have to say the Mach3 retrofit option is looking more and more likely or at least it would do if i thought i had the skills!

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Wed 21 Dec , 2011 1:08 am

Yes a 9 to 9 pin lead is fine.

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=544

What does it say on the eprom fitted?

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 21 Dec , 2011 12:13 pm

The EPROM type is important - it could be that the machine has had a later EPROM fitted to work with VR Milling (windows)
Baldor Eprom version information:
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=211

If not, the 9-9 pin lead from PC direct to control card will rule out a cabling issue.

Rowhill
smartstep 3

millcam designer v2.2a
Fanuc md
2d design

Post by Rowhill » Wed 21 Dec , 2011 16:17 pm

Interesting! the eprom on my card says V2.1 does this mean it may have had an update? is it possible that i should be running VR milling with this, though it would be strange to recieve the original FANUC OM and MILLCAM (flash licenced) if it had been upgraded. Is there going to be anyway i can test VR milling without a dongle or licence.

I tried the direct from com1 (and com 2) into the 9 pin socket on the card with cable wired direct (as above) and same as before in starmill.exe i can get the software to work but in machine link it says it cant see machine and FANUCSMD closes with a <128> error and says it cant see mint 3.28 controller.

tried an old laptop running 3.11 with a single serial both direct and through the 25pin on case (with original denford lead) again no joy, though to be fair i am not sure how much stumbling with the FANUCSMD.GO was correct may need some more testing different settings for com ports and useing Qdenford.kbd.

somewhat beggining to infuriate me but i still have faith! i have to, i am determined to get this running so my students can have a go, and before my senior leaders start to moan about the unused junk cluttering the tech workshop!

thanks for your responses so far guys

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 21 Dec , 2011 16:46 pm

Download the VR milling v2 CD from our website
You can install the software on win98 or XP, then:
Run the file: MintMan.exe which is located in the VR Milling installation directory (C:\Program Files\Denford\VRMilling)

Go to menu Setup -> Comm Port
Set the parameters to:
COM 1 (whichever machine is plugged into)
Baud: 19200
Parity: None
Data bits: 8
Stop bits: 2
Handshaking: none

Then click Upload Version - it will report the EPROM version if its compatible with VR Milling and test the RS232 is working OK.

Rowhill
smartstep 3

millcam designer v2.2a
Fanuc md
2d design

Post by Rowhill » Thu 22 Dec , 2011 1:23 am

At last this sounds promising! cant get into school to check till 3rd jan so will have to wait with bated breath!

Assuming i get a response from the machine are we saying that vr milling v2.31 will work for me? what will be the cost of a licence or dongle to get me up and running. I have access to techsoft 2d design, can i use that with the denford postprocessor.zip available elsewhere on this site?

thanks again

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 22 Dec , 2011 10:30 am

The bad news is a v2 license replacement is £250
The good news is a new VRMilling V5 license is also £250 (the only issue here being that the s/w may need some parameters altering for your specific machine)
V5 milling will also give you .dxf import which will work with any version of techsoft or autocad drawings..

Rowhill
smartstep 3

millcam designer v2.2a
Fanuc md
2d design

Post by Rowhill » Tue 03 Jan , 2012 11:37 am

Ok mintman seems to work! i get

verdenMINT V2.01.b6/s/b19(c)Baldor(UK)Ltd 1998-2001

Next is to try to get a licence key for VR and try that, hope i can trace software from school we got it from but if not i guess we will have to buy VR version 5.

one more question, i assume xp is ok for VR milling or would 98 be better as an opperating system?

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 03 Jan , 2012 13:08 pm

XP is the best OS for both VR Milling v2 and v5

Rowhill
smartstep 3

millcam designer v2.2a
Fanuc md
2d design

Post by Rowhill » Mon 09 Jan , 2012 1:06 am

Well VR Milling 5 on order so i will update you all when we get it...........cant wait!

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 09 Jan , 2012 11:28 am

Note that as this machine appears to have been upgraded and is not a standard machine in the software, you may need to re-configure axis limits.
There is a Legacy machine called Starmill DENSTEP in v5 milling which should be the one to pick. (Once v5 is installed, use the menu Setup->Select Machine then click Legacy machines)

Rowhill
smartstep 3

millcam designer v2.2a
Fanuc md
2d design

Post by Rowhill » Fri 20 Jan , 2012 0:31 am

:fireworks: WOOP WOOP :fireworks:

Fortunate that i went back to the original school who had the machine and they helpfully supplied quickcam 3d and VR Milling 2.31 and the licence files which was good because it was free but slightly sad that i dont have the DXF import facility to use with 2d design. Sorry Denford perhaps i will get the school to upgrade later but on my tiny budget i made a significant saving running with V2.31.

Anyway, it has been a fair time in the doing but i cut my first lythophane today and was well chuffed! We now have a working machine with Millcam designer and quickcam with VR and will get this baby running as often as possible.

My first use of it will be to get the kids designing cams for a cam toy and cutting them out of MDF and then i plan to get a class to design trophies for our Olympics sports week in the summer i thought we could have engraved blocks of perspex set into wooden bases.

I hope the possibilities will be endless, Though being a special school for behaviour and learning i will need to keep things simple and as quick a process as possible.

Thanks for all the help in getting me going i am sure i will continue to be a regular poster here. In the mean time, i'm off to have another play!

PS. If anyone can direct me to, or provide schemes of work or resources for projects using the machine i would be very gratefull.

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 20 Jan , 2012 9:55 am

If anyone can direct me to, or provide schemes of work or resources for projects using the machine i would be very gratefull.
Have a look in the downloads and user stories/projects sections. eg, this:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2329