Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

JohntheEDTtechnician
Hardware/Software: Denford 2600 PRO
VR Milling V5
QuickCAM PRO
QuickCAM 2D Design

Random toolpath deviation!

Post by JohntheEDTtechnician » Tue 01 Feb , 2022 12:21 pm

I've been milling out some boxes from soft wood with success until this latest one went awry.

For some reason towards the end of the programme the machine cuts on a different toolpath to the one I had set (or at lest thought that I had set). This has happened 3 times now. I have tried re-drawing the toolpath using the Drawing Import function (importing .dxf files), but have the same issue.

Any thoughts on where the error is? I'm going back to a previous successful programme to see if that still works, which would suggest the error is with this particular file?

Here's a piture (hopefully), you can see where the machine has been following the toolpath quite happily and then, wallop it deviates into the side of the box!
IMG_20220201_105438137.jpg
IMG_20220201_105438137.jpg (284.37 KiB) Viewed 5193 times

JohntheEDTtechnician
VR Milling V5
QuickCAM PRO
QuickCAM 2D Design

Re: Random toolpath deviation!

Post by JohntheEDTtechnician » Tue 01 Feb , 2022 13:23 pm

Update:

I've tried another file that has previously work without any problems and it has done the same thing. Towards the end of the routine there's a toolpath deviation that wrecks the work.

The error seems to occur at the same point, co-incidence or indicative of what the problem is?

Help gratefully reveived.

John

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Thu 03 Feb , 2022 12:41 pm

The slides may just need lubricating with silicone spray.

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Fri 04 Feb , 2022 12:10 pm

It does look like one of the slides may have stalled. Possibly a Retract in the Z axis.

Vacuum down the machine and clean the leadscrews especially the Z axis.

Spray the leadscrews with the silicone spray and leave to dry then retry the program but turn the feed override down and see if that improves things.

I like the vice you have fitted!

JohntheEDTtechnician
VR Milling V5
QuickCAM PRO
QuickCAM 2D Design

Post by JohntheEDTtechnician » Wed 01 Jun , 2022 13:52 pm

Thanks for the replies, and sorry for my delayed response - I got dragged into other areas of responsibilty (in other words "stop playing with that machine, here's 300 cutting lists to do")

A colleague here suggested re-installing the drivers which we did and it did seem to help, though this may be a coincidence, I'll clean and lube the slides as suggested.

The vice has bought before my time, I believe it's from Techsoft. It is quite handy for repeats as it self centres.