Orac serial connection

All info relating to the Denford ORAC CNC lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

oracnewbie

Orac serial connection

Post by oracnewbie » Fri 07 Apr , 2006 14:04 pm

Hello,

I long while ago I managed to get programs in and out of our original Orac lathe via the RS232 serial port. I've obviously forgotten something because now I can't get it to talk!

Does anyone have a summary of the settings needed for Hyperterminal or the Orac Off-line programming DOS software (downloaded from Denford)?

Matt.

Mr Magoo
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Mr Magoo » Fri 07 Apr , 2006 14:43 pm

Take a look on the denford website (www.denford.co.uk) in the Tech Support section. Download the MANUALS.ZIP file in the "Parts of MS DOS software manuals" section. The ORAC files give some info on the RS232 link.

Hope this helps...

:shock:

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Sun 09 Apr , 2006 20:44 pm

There is a copy of an ORAC manual on ebay at the moment: item number 7608327409

- Looks like we should be scanning the old manuals in and selling them on :!:

oracnewbie

Post by oracnewbie » Mon 10 Apr , 2006 10:32 am

Thanks for the advice - I've downloaded the manual, I assume flow control is Hardware?

I think we've got a copy of the orignal William Woolard tapes for the audio teaching unit somewhere...now they might be worth a bit!

oracnewbie

Post by oracnewbie » Mon 10 Apr , 2006 21:02 pm

OK, problem solved - was using the version of Hyperterminal you get with Windows 98 - could get programs out of the ORAC with this but not get them in. Turns out Hyperterminal assumes the connected device is using the CTS pin to signal it is ready to receive. Since the ORAC sets DSR, nothing gets sent.

MITTY (http://www.jps.com/downloads/support/mitty.html) is far more versatile and lets you choose DSR flow control for sending.