Orac Lathe Thread cutting cycle

All info relating to the Denford ORAC CNC lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

technokid

Orac Lathe Thread cutting cycle

Post by technokid » Sun 15 Jul , 2007 10:26 am

I am having problems with the thread cutting cycle on my Orac lathe. Basically the program stops for tool change to tool 2 . I change the tool and then press start to commence the thread cutting cycle but nothing happens. I am using the test programs ORACTEST and test 2 and test 3 from the manual. I am using the ORAC DOS software that i downloaded from this site. The programs work fine on the simulation and machine the same profile as on the drawing but all stop at the threading cycle and will not start cutting the thread. I set the tool 2 up to cut with the z at 0 and x at diameter of thread. Does any one have any clues please. Many thanks. :lol:

Mr Magoo
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Mr Magoo » Mon 16 Jul , 2007 1:29 am

It sounds like the machine isn't 'seeing' the reference pulse from the spindle encoder. It will just sit there waiting forever if the pulse isn't getting through.

There's a metal disk on the back of the spindle with a number of holes punched in it, and a 'reader' circuit board that has a couple of light sensors that sit around the disk. As the spindle rotates the holes break the beam of light in a sensor and generate pulses for the CNC. Note also that one of the holes is longer than the rest - it generate 1 pulse per rev so the CNC knows when to start a threading pass. Make sure all of this stuff is secure and hasn't come loose.

Also, I THINK the pulses from this can be seen on a couple of LEDs in the back of the machine (although I may be confusing it with another machine??) . Open the back 'drop down' cover to the electrics and you should see an LED flash on and off as you slowly rotate the spindle by hand, and a second one next to it that flashes once per rev. (make sure the machine has power on, and the ESTOP button is out). They're on a circuit board close to the back cover so are easy to see without having to start pulling stuff out of the machine.

Good luck

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Mon 16 Jul , 2007 23:47 pm

There are 2 red led`s as Mr Magoo says.
They are on the bottom left card looking in the electrical from the rear. The led`s are just behind the orange terminals.

technokid

Thread cutting cycle

Post by technokid » Thu 19 Jul , 2007 0:34 am

Thank you gentlemen. I had to remove the circuit board holding the two sensors in order to clean them. By looking at the two LED's I was able to see that the one that detects one revolution was not working. It was on all the time. Once cleaned and re -assembled it started the thread cycle and cut a perfect thread.

Mr Magoo
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Mr Magoo » Thu 19 Jul , 2007 10:38 am

Glad you're up and running :D