Orac Z axis faulty

All info relating to the Denford ORAC CNC lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

gazzahh

Orac Z axis faulty

Post by gazzahh » Thu 10 May , 2007 21:47 pm

Hi there, I`m new to all this so be gentle with me, I`ve got a problem with the z axis, when in manual mode it is erratic (judders?) on slow traverse but its ok on fast traverse, in cycle it looses itself when traversing probably because its an open loop system? I think the problem is in the axis drive card is there any where they can be repaired?
Thanks, garry.

Triac whizz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Triac whizz » Fri 11 May , 2007 11:28 am

Hmm

whip the motor off and turn the ball screw by hand, if that's not moving smoothly with virtually no effort then somethings binding & that's your problem, otherwise check the wiring looks as it left the factory, if its been hashed around and left by other electronics - it could be interference.

Most likely culprit is friction :?
Self Catering Lodges in Central France with covered pool & large grounds
www.la-coterie.com

gazzahh

Post by gazzahh » Fri 11 May , 2007 16:59 pm

Thanks for that, at first I thought it was something siezed but after diconnecting the drive everything runs freely, I spoke to the engineer that comes into work and explained the symptoms and he said it was most likely a transistor that has failed in the drive card that alows it to `miss` in slow traverse but rides past it fast traverse giving the impression all is fine. hope this makes sense, Garry

Triac whizz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Triac whizz » Fri 11 May , 2007 17:32 pm

what a bummer, the drives are out there but few & far between, rare as rocking horse sh*t. Looks like another candidate for retro fitting......
Self Catering Lodges in Central France with covered pool & large grounds
www.la-coterie.com