Denford Orac Advice

All info relating to the Denford ORAC CNC lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Amoir
Hardware/Software: Orac

Denford Orac Advice

Post by Amoir » Wed 11 Jan , 2023 10:41 am

Hi all

Thank you for my inclusion to this forum.

I used the Orac many years ago during my apprenticeship and managed to recently secure one that has been upgraded but I am struggling to run a program and I am hoping someone can give me some advice.
Apart from tripping the circuit breaker now an again, which I think may be related to my extension cords, everything seems to be working fine and have tested on some polyethylene manually.
My issue is twofold, firstly, I cannot find any documentation for the controller in order to create a program but since it has been upgraded should I be doing it like that which leads to my second issue. I created a program in Fusion 360 and have saved it in .cn and .cnc file formats and put it on a memory stick and put that into the machine. Now I am not sure if I have to transfer it to the machine or run directly from the USB which I can navigate to but in any case I do not know how to store it on the machine anyway. When I press the big green button below the Gunt logo, which I am assuming means 'run program please', the x-axis traverses to a point, pulls back slight and stops. The spindle does not turn. So!!! My questions are as follows:
Do I upgrade the controller and if so to what?
Do I just keep trying to fathom out how to work things?
Do I ask someone if they can assist me with some form of guide as to how to successfully use the machine?

I will appreciate any responses as I am desperate to get cracking on some awesome little projects.
PS: I attached a pic of my chess set I made on the Orac during my apprenticeship 30 years ago. :D
Alex
Attachments
Orac1.png
Orac1.png (2.38 MiB) Viewed 3781 times
Orac2.png
Orac2.png (3.01 MiB) Viewed 3781 times
Orac3.png
Orac3.png (2.39 MiB) Viewed 3781 times
Orac4.png
Orac4.png (2.6 MiB) Viewed 3781 times
Orac5.png
Orac5.png (2.35 MiB) Viewed 3781 times
Orac6.png
Orac6.png (2.58 MiB) Viewed 3781 times
Orac7.png
Orac7.png (2.65 MiB) Viewed 3781 times
Orac8.png
Orac8.png (2.72 MiB) Viewed 3781 times
Orac9.png
Orac9.png (2.1 MiB) Viewed 3781 times
Orac10.png
Orac10.png (1.82 MiB) Viewed 3781 times
Orac11.png
Orac11.png (2.89 MiB) Viewed 3781 times
ChessSet.jpg
ChessSet.jpg (422.61 KiB) Viewed 3781 times

DavidB
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Triac, Orac

Re: Denford Orac Advice

Post by DavidB » Wed 11 Jan , 2023 16:19 pm

The control system looks to be from these people http://www.gunt-cnc.com/index.php?m=con ... &catid=122 so if you can't find a manual on the site maybe contact them to see if you can get further information.

More information turns up searching for GTCNC-60TT such as the attached PDF overview but I haven't found a detailed operator manual.
Attachments
GTCNC-60TT.pdf
(94.24 KiB) Downloaded 173 times