Novamill Error Message?

All info relating to the Denford Novamill CNC Milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Simon P
Hardware/Software: Novamill - Smartstep3 - M.C.D2

Novamill Error Message?

Post by Simon P » Sat 30 Jun , 2012 11:58 am

Hi to all,

Apologies for my first post being a cry for help...
I'm hoping somebody can help with a problem i'm having,

I have an early model (97) Novamill / Smartstep3 Controlled which i mainly use for small modeling projects,
The machine seems to have suddenly developed what i think is a reading fault on the X- and Z- axis's which is causing an error message *Control Communications* to be displayed,

The axis readout only appears to be working in the + direction and just displays ------- whilst trying to jog in the - direction on either the X or Z axis's, Y axis is still reading / working normally in both directions,

The machine boots up and homes fine, the control board reads *H* whilst it's homing followed by an *8* as it normally does so I assume the board is working ok,
I'm not that clued up on the electronic side of things so hoping someone can help with suggestions on what i should start checking?

Just to mention repeated resetting of the error eventually makes the machine work normally again but it only works for a few minutes before it reverts back to the error message,

Many Thanks,
Simon

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Novamill Error Message?

Post by Martin » Sat 30 Jun , 2012 13:53 pm

Controller Communications error is normally due to a poor connection on the RS232 lead between the machine & the computer.

You could try unplugging either end & then re connecting or otherwise look at a replacement.

Simon P
Hardware/Software: Novamill - Smartstep3 - M.C.D2

Post by Simon P » Sun 01 Jul , 2012 10:16 am

Hello Martin,

Sorry I sould have said I've already carried out a continuity test on the rs232 cable pins, I also tried a direct cable link between board and pc just to double confirm it wasn't the issue, I've checked all the board terminal screws for wire security as well,

I suspect it's going to be a wiring / connection problem somewhere, do these boards suffer from dry solder? the board looks to be pretty much oxidized all over,

I was going to pop it out and give it a good spray with some contact cleaner but I notice it carries a (bios?) battery onboard so probably not a good idea.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 02 Jul , 2012 9:01 am

It does sound like communications are struggling to get through reliably.

Try re-soldering/re-heating all the connectors on the RS232 d-type, and the surrounding components...I think it's RS485

Also look for possible causes of electrical noise - has the machine been moved ? new equipment running nearby ? etc..