Novamill intermittent sticks at S on startup...

All info relating to the Denford Novamill CNC Milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

bpmsl
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Novamill intermittent sticks at S on startup...

Post by bpmsl » Wed 25 May , 2011 12:24 pm

Hi,
I'm looking for a little help on fault finding. Some times (usually after its been heavily used over the weekend and then left for a week) my novamill base unit boots and sits with the denstep display at S. The machine doesn't initiate and the gentle hissing noise from the mill doesn't occur.

It clears if you cycle the power a few times, so I'm assuming that (as its intermittent) its probably a sticking safety interlock relay as I understand that the S denotes an interlock is open, again assuming there is a relay. I'll admit I got lost in the circuit diagrammes availble on here.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
BPM

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: Novamill intermittent sticks at S on startup...

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 25 May , 2011 14:45 pm

S suggests that the machine is still in emergency stop.

Have a look under the front of the machine at the emergency stop switch and contacts.
I'd be tempted to link the emergency stop wires together and power back on just to see if the switch is the problem

bpmsl
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by bpmsl » Tue 07 Jun , 2011 12:26 pm

Thanks Admin,
OK it appars that the switch isn't the problem... so is there a relay in the loop that could be sticking on power up?
Cheers
BPM

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Tue 07 Jun , 2011 13:56 pm

The 11pin ESR (Emergency Stop Relay) may have a faulty contact on it.
It may be worth checking if the ESR is energised when in the fault condition.
If it is then wires 58 & 59 should be closed circuit. It may be that you have a faulty contact on the plug in relay. If so you should be able to unplug the relay & clean the contacts.
If it is fitted with a Omron relay it should have a plastic pin on it that can be pressed in to test the outputs.

bpmsl
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by bpmsl » Tue 28 Jun , 2011 23:28 pm

Thanks Martin.
Having given the relay switch a good wiggle to cycle the contacts a few dozen times i've not had a problem since, guess it was just a sticky relay or dirty contacts.

Cheers
Barry M