All info relating to the Denford Novamill CNC Milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

flyingmike
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Re: Novamill on Mach3

Post by flyingmike » Fri 30 Dec , 2011 22:43 pm

Hi John,

When I first got my machine a few of the guys I spoke too said that more modern stepper motors were better. If they are or not I dont know as I never used the originals. I did however replace them with more powerfull motors on all axis. The novamill is a really solid machine so I figured larger motors would give the machine a larger scope and the hole spacings on the motors are the same so an easy swop.

I`m using a KB variable speed drive with an 180V DC output (you can get them from axis controls http://axisautomation.co.uk/en-GB/default.aspx) Works well with additional breaking, reverse and emergency stop features. You select a resistor to match the horsepower of your motor. (0.5hp if I remember correctly.)

Mike

JohnHaine
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: My Novamill, bought in Nov 11 without electronics, is now up and running under Mach3 with a home-build control box. I'm very pleased with the machine, only project so far is correcting a cheap small machine vice originally bought for a vertical slide to use on the machine - not a right-angle in it when bought!

Post by JohnHaine » Sat 31 Dec , 2011 18:35 pm

Sorry, read and replied to your other posting before seeing this one - I'm using a KB drive too.

I'll give the original motors a try first, see how they go with modern drivers. I ended up building a new control box rather than trying to share my lathe one as all the driver settings will be different, just taking a break from starting to bring the machine up. So far it passes the initial smoke test!

Cheers, John.

JohnHaine
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: My Novamill, bought in Nov 11 without electronics, is now up and running under Mach3 with a home-build control box. I'm very pleased with the machine, only project so far is correcting a cheap small machine vice originally bought for a vertical slide to use on the machine - not a right-angle in it when bought!

Post by JohnHaine » Sun 15 Jan , 2012 19:44 pm

well, have now made a lot of progess! Today I cut metal for the first time, surfaced a steel block using code generated from a wizard. The machine did a great job, general feeling of satisfaction that nothing has blown up and so far I haven't chewed up the table with the cutter!

One thing I noticed, the X-feed motor is getting rather hot! Certainly it's at the point where it is uncomfortable to leave one's finger on it for any length of time though it doesn't give you a burn! I am using the generic "2m524" (I think that's the number) drivers with the X and Y axis current switches set for 2.84A. Motors are the Denford original equipment.

Is this to be expected please, should I reduce the current, could anyone advise?

Thanks, John.

angel-tech
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: .....
4 Quatros
3 Oracs
2 Easiturn atc
12 station lathe atc
Mach 3

Post by angel-tech » Sun 15 Jan , 2012 19:52 pm

current may be a bit high

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Mon 16 Jan , 2012 15:17 pm

Stepper motors do get hot.

JohnHaine
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by JohnHaine » Mon 16 Jan , 2012 15:24 pm

Yes, looking at other postings here though I see that these motors are Sanyo and rated at 1.5 amps! So maybe I have been over-egging things a bit, so I'll back off the current a bit...thanks for the input.

John.

JohnHaine
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by JohnHaine » Mon 16 Jan , 2012 21:54 pm

OK, so I set the current switches for just under 1.5 amps and the motors still run fine, if anything they sound a bit quieter, and COOL! Glad I spotted that before frying them!

angel-tech
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: .....
4 Quatros
3 Oracs
2 Easiturn atc
12 station lathe atc
Mach 3

Post by angel-tech » Mon 16 Jan , 2012 22:16 pm

As Martin said they will run pretty hot, and take a lot of punishment. You could probably run them on 2A.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 19 Jan , 2012 10:44 am

If split this topic from poryan 1st question to here:
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=3602