Triac PC spindle motor speed varies by its self

General support, help and advice for Denford CNC machines (old and new)

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

amaxlegend
Hardware/Software: Triac PC mill / Vr Milling v2.38

Re: Triac PC spindle motor speed varies by its self

Post by amaxlegend » Sun 23 May , 2021 22:07 pm

TDIPower wrote:
Sun 23 May , 2021 14:49 pm
You should be able to prove if its the sprint by disconnecting the 0-10v from the denford control and just wiring a pot as per the diagram for the sprint I pointed you to. that way you can manually alter the speed and see if it stays stable or hunts. If it is fine then it points to the problem being from the denford 0-10v. At least that way you know where to look.

Pete
Thanks Pete I have ordered a 10k pot.
Does pin no 1 give you 10v when the motor is switched on ?
Im thinking if the speed control board is faulty and cant be fixed, I would be able to continue using it via the 10k pot setup or will I have to provide a 10v from elsewhere ? and how would that affect a program if programming in the speed would i just have to do it manually ? many thanks again to everyone . Alex

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Mon 24 May , 2021 17:33 pm

according to the sprint diagram there should be 10v on pin 1, it might only become enabled when the drive is turned on, for testing you could just put a switch across pin 4-5. Does the triac not have a manual over ride pot you could just re task for the moment to test?

You do need to be careful with wiring on the sprint, there is a warning on the diagram about it being at mains potential. I have seen reports from people on here who did not know this when trying to convert them to mach 3 control and earthing the the common.

I have never needed to do anything with my controllers (yet). If you read through the sprint info there is a trouble shooting guide.

Pete

amaxlegend

Post by amaxlegend » Tue 25 May , 2021 23:11 pm

TDIPower wrote:
Mon 24 May , 2021 17:33 pm
according to the sprint diagram there should be 10v on pin 1, it might only become enabled when the drive is turned on, for testing you could just put a switch across pin 4-5. Does the triac not have a manual over ride pot you could just re task for the moment to test?

You do need to be careful with wiring on the sprint, there is a warning on the diagram about it being at mains potential. I have seen reports from people on here who did not know this when trying to convert them to mach 3 control and earthing the the common.

I have never needed to do anything with my controllers (yet). If you read through the sprint info there is a trouble shooting guide.

Pete
There is no pot override fitted but after reading your pages, I think yours is the way to go, if the sprint card isn't getting the correct voltage the diagram shows a pot can be connected, if I get a 10k pot that can be used then I should get running again ordered a a ten rev wire wound10k pot that should give a more precise speed control . ( will watch to make sure nothing is touching for earth, I appreciate your help .
Just also wondered If I write a program will the gcodes for speed be enacted, with the pot connected, or will they just be ignored ?
Alex

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Wed 26 May , 2021 17:04 pm

The control board will still output it's version of the 0-10v if the g code is there, just ensure you have disconnected the wires from it to the sprint so you only have the pot. I like the idea of the 10turn pot, I'm not sure if the display will report the actual spindle speed set by the pot or what it thinks it should be doing based on it's programming, I've not looked at how the speed is measured

amaxlegend

Post by amaxlegend » Wed 26 May , 2021 20:08 pm

TDIPower wrote:
Wed 26 May , 2021 17:04 pm
The control board will still output it's version of the 0-10v if the g code is there, just ensure you have disconnected the wires from it to the sprint so you only have the pot. I like the idea of the 10turn pot, I'm not sure if the display will report the actual spindle speed set by the pot or what it thinks it should be doing based on it's programming, I've not looked at how the speed is measured

amaxlegend

Post by amaxlegend » Wed 26 May , 2021 20:24 pm

TDIPower wrote:
Wed 26 May , 2021 17:04 pm
Just connected a 10k after taking out wires in pos 3 and 2 . The 10k pot wiper to pin 3 others left on pot to pin 2 right to pin 1 and it works.
luck has it that it that the spindle goes in the right direction
there is no speed shown on the slider in vr milling , this must com from the other board, the slider doesnt move when using the 10k pot.

Probably needs someone more capable to get the speed to show like connecting the wires to something else lol

will try a program tomorrow to see if it will control the speed.
Alex

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Thu 27 May , 2021 17:55 pm

Sounds good. I don't think the screen reflects actual speed just what speed is being called for by the 0-10v out from the control. If you want a cheep solution get a contactless RPM meter ~£10 from amazon fire up the spindle dial in the speed then run the program.

Pete

amaxlegend

Post by amaxlegend » Thu 27 May , 2021 22:51 pm

TDIPower wrote:
Thu 27 May , 2021 17:55 pm
Sounds good. I don't think the screen reflects actual speed just what speed is being called for by the 0-10v out from the control. If you want a cheep solution get a contactless RPM meter ~£10 from amazon fire up the spindle dial in the speed then run the program.
Pete
Found this on Amazon with a digital readout

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Akozon ... NrPXRydWU=

Alex

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Fri 28 May , 2021 0:36 am

looks like a cool bit of kit. I picked up a hand held unit as I various things I want to use one for

amaxlegend

Post by amaxlegend » Sat 29 May , 2021 12:26 pm

TDIPower wrote:
Fri 28 May , 2021 0:36 am
looks like a cool bit of kit. I picked up a hand held unit as I various things I want to use one for
Working on my "Steve Ward" division controller which will allow me to also cut gears and splines with an indexing table
found a few bugs in it and he modified it to work , its now v3.2 and works a treat It has a linear control which works on my y axis for cutting and retracting , with the small indexing table to move to the next tooth to cut, it is all synced and works well . I am using 2x 542 drivers with nema 23 motors, and a small 24v psu which I managed to fit into a keypad box . It is also programable and comes with the indexing and gear cutting built in. He sells a kit either ready built or you can build it yourself . here is a link

http://www.worldofward.com/rotarycontroller/
here is a pic of me testing it with the brown taped spindle emulating the y table direction of advance to cut and retration with the indexer moving to the next tooth to be cut. the blue box contains the 2x 542 drivers, psu 24v, and the Steve Ward control unit with screen and keypad.

Steve answers emails same or nexday and is very helpful.
Attachments
20210529_122615.jpg
20210529_122615.jpg (700.61 KiB) Viewed 8753 times