Drilling boring holders for ATC

General support, help and advice for Denford CNC machines (old and new)

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Drilling boring holders for ATC

Post by TDIPower » Sat 11 Mar , 2017 11:55 am

Just trying to get the drilling/boring set up on my Starturn 5. I'm trying to make holders/collet for the tools to fit the ATC.

So far I have turned a 19 dia x 20mm bar and drilled at 5mm for a centre drill. I then slotted one side and fitted it to the ATC, I had thought that the clamping screws would pinch the holder down onto the centre drill but It wont.

I found a picture of a tool holder in one of the many bits of info I have searched through that looked like a 'Top Hat', this has been drilled and taped through one side for grub screws to pinch onto the drill, it has been machined with a flat on its OD so the ATC pinch bolts can grip into it. This makes more sense as it means there is less chance of the drill/holder spinning if the bit bites into the job.

This set up is fine for a drill but I'm trying to work out how to make one for the boring bar. The boring bar is 8mm dia indexable. It has a flat on the top and bottom for mounting in a conventional tool holder. This part is easy, turn up another 19x20mm holder, drill and tap the side for grub screws to pinch on the top of the tool. The hard part is at what angle to those holes do I need to machine a flat for the ATC pinch bolts?

I have found the ATC drawings ( TP121_2.PDF ) which has been brilliant and helped me understand much more about how the ATC works, it includes measurements for faces and angles BUT the one angle it does not include is that of the pinch bolt holes for drilling / boring holders in relation to the horizontal or vertical.

Does anyone know this, are there tool holders available I could buy for boring bars, it would make life easier if so.

Many thanks

Pete

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Re: Drilling boring holders for ATC

Post by TDIPower » Mon 20 Mar , 2017 17:02 pm

Forged ahead and think I have this lot sorted now.