Harrison Lathe with Denford Control

General support, help and advice for Denford CNC machines (old and new)

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Dr Mark Vaughan

Harrison Lathe with Denford Control

Post by Dr Mark Vaughan » Sun 11 Nov , 2007 22:44 pm

Hi
I recently purchased a Harrison M280 lathe with CBC control. The machine is circa 1989, and runs from a BBC Master computer. Controls being GigiPlan with Parker CD20 and CD40 drives for X and Z axis, and a very crude stepper drive with simple chip and 2N3055 transistors for the tool turret. Each CD20/40 drive appears to be driven from some other card, the control rack also has a relay board. Between teh BBC Master and Digiplan rack there is a logic control card with procesors, and an opto-isolator card.
Digiplan in their wisdom know nothing about it.
Harrison only have details of the optoisolator card, but say it was retroftitted by Denford hence my post here. I have telephoned Denford for support but current Uk staff have no knowledge, however claim it's designer is probably in Ausi and frequencts this forum.
The machine CNC was disconnected as it came from a guy that ran 6 lathes all from the same control, this one was his spare and is mechanically in nice condition.
I am not looking to get the BBC master up and running again, it is partly disconnected and keyboard, screen etc are missing. I am looking to interface a PC probably with Mach software as I have done with other machines.
I would be greatful if anyone has any details circuit diagram etc of the digiplan controller motherboard and cards, it is not the CC Rack as usually detailed with the Parker cd20/cd40 downloads.
Visually the machine is the type that had a large box along the whole top of the machine with monitor and keyboard rather than a monitor on the side like some other Harrison M280's.

Any info appreciated. (I have mechanical manuals)

Regs Mark

PS hopefully I've posted to a group this time, last time I PM'ed myself!!
:D
Regs
Mark

Mr Magoo
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Mr Magoo » Mon 19 Nov , 2007 11:44 am

Hi Mark...

I noticed no replies here!

Denford only did PC based controllers for Harrison Lathes. I would guess that if it's a BBC based controller it could have been supplied by Boxford???