Microrouter Compact - Z problem

All info relating to the Denford MicroRouter Compact small routing machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Benny
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Benny » Fri 16 Nov , 2007 15:58 pm

We have a teacher that has a Micro Router Compact with a Z axis problem. the machine was running a program without any problems and returned to the home position when the program ended. He went to re-home the machine and the Z crept down and he used the E-Stop to shut down the machine. He used the false home to move the Z and when he pressed Page Down ,the z moved up, and when he used Page Up the Z moved down. He took the lock off the guard door and inserted it in the lock so he can work on the machine with the guard open. He said if he puts a little pressure on the Z and pushes up while holding Page Up, the Z will start to move down then go up. So far they have vacuumed out around the switch and used compressed air to clean out the switch. The switch is working fine. Re-installed the software and checked the wire connections, the machine will not home in the Z and the movement for the Page Up/Down is opposite. Using VR Milling v2.31 & v5.19.

Benny
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Benny » Fri 16 Nov , 2007 16:01 pm

Problem is resolved --- break on wire from Z brake/stepper motor. Wire repaired and works fine. Suggested customer also add a strain relief / P clip to prevent from happening again.

See link viewtopic.php?t=456&highlight=compact

steviekirkland
Hardware/Software: Microrouter Compact
Serial Number H07567
Windows XP

Re: Microrouter Compact - Z problem

Post by steviekirkland » Wed 08 Oct , 2014 12:55 pm

Good Afternoon.

We have had exactly the same problem on our Microrouter Compact. I have removed the hood cover, removed the brake, and checked the motor is turning OK - which it is. However now when I have rebuilt the unit, the z axis wont move at all - I think it maybe the brake is constantly on (as the unit was very warm when I went to investigate further.

I have checked for broken wires (as per previous posts) and could see nothing obvious.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steven Henderson.

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Wed 08 Oct , 2014 16:27 pm

Does the stepper motor power up?

If it does you could try removing the brake. (2 small nuts)
You can test the motor if you plug it in a different drive & use the secret home button or check the continuity across the phases.

steviekirkland
Serial Number H07567
Windows XP

Post by steviekirkland » Thu 09 Oct , 2014 8:21 am

I think the motor is powering up as when you try to jog the unit manually you can hear the motor trying to turn.

Is it OK to remove the brake from the motor then power up the unit and try to run the motor manually?

I am more mechanically minded so Im not sure about checking the continuity over the phases - sorry.

Thanks again.

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Thu 09 Oct , 2014 8:57 am

Yes you can remove the brake. It is held on with the 2 small nuts. The only issue is you may not have the height to lift the brake off completely without removing the cabinet. You should be able to lift it off enough to try it though.

steviekirkland
Serial Number H07567
Windows XP

Post by steviekirkland » Thu 09 Oct , 2014 14:41 pm

Hi. I stripped/cleaned/rebuilt the unit again this morning and the unit now seems to be operating freely. We had a quick try out of the machine and the Z motor was now rotating when powered up. I am awaiting the Teacher running the unit as designed (which will probably be in 2 weeks time after our October holidays). I will update this forum when I receive this information.

Thanks again.