Micromill Spindle Problem

All info relating to the Denford MicroMill and MicroTurn lathes and mills

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

fstorm880
Hardware/Software: Micromill, Router, VR Milling 5

Micromill Spindle Problem

Post by fstorm880 » Wed 13 Sep , 2023 11:35 am

Hi.

So lately I've restored our Uni's micromill after it's not being used for about 5 years (since 2014 I think). No problem at the stepper motor, or 3 axis movement. Connection to user PC is also a success.
But I encountered a problem when trying to start the spindle. both with the spindle forward button in the VR Milling software (ver. 5 btw), or using the NC code, the spindle only started spinning for about half a second, but stopped and the machine light intensity was also weakened for a bit. The symptoms looks like there's not enough power to turn the spindle, or there is a safety mechanism preventing the spindle to continue spinning. the indicator in the software showing there's no problem with it (green indicator as if the spindle were spinning). Also when i try to rotate the spindle manually, there is nothing jamming it or anything. It rotates just okay.

My question is Are there safety mechanisms or relays that potentially cause this problem? My suspicion is that the electronic shear key (honestly I'm not sure what this is) reads something wrong and prevent the spindle to spin.

Thank you very much.

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Micromill Spindle Problem

Post by Steve » Tue 19 Sep , 2023 15:11 pm

Hi,

What spindle speed were you trying to run at? If the speed request was very slow it may not have enough grunt to start rotating. Set the speed to say 1500RPM with the override to 100% and see if there is any difference.

It could also be an issue with the spindle analogue. The light dimming would indicate it still has power.

Do the same symptems persist if you try again if not the fuse could have blown when you first tried to start it.

fstorm880
Hardware/Software: Micromill, Router, VR Milling 5

Re: Micromill Spindle Problem

Post by fstorm880 » Fri 22 Sep , 2023 3:28 am

Thanks for the reply!

First, I've tried various spindle speeds, both with the digital or mechanical modifiers. The condition is it spins only for like a split second.

Also I don't think the fuse is the problem, I haven't tried to change it, but it might be fine because the rotation is started, but it didn't continuee spinning. the problem seems like the mechanism to continue the spin.

If the problem is about power supply, we have in the same room a unit of Router 2600 pro, which i think uses more power, but it works seamlessly.

I'm not too experienced in electrical matters, so I'm not entirely sure. but we're gonna try to disassemble the motor and assemble it back so maybe I can find the problem there. Maybe if it help clear the condition I will send pictures / videos in the future.

Again, thank you very much for the response.