New Owner of MicroMill 2000, HELP!

All info relating to the Denford MicroMill and MicroTurn lathes and mills

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

brainwavedude
Hardware/Software: Micromill 2000/MillCAM designer 2003 model

New Owner of MicroMill 2000, HELP!

Post by brainwavedude » Wed 09 Mar , 2016 22:59 pm

Looks to be in perfect shape, with all the manuals and software. 2003 model. However it seems to be missing the key and dongle. The software would not install without the dongle. I have the registration key, which is on a floppy, but I don't have an external floppy drive. Any work around for this? How about a downloadable file on a cd or something? I am new to CNC, but would like to start learning, as well as getting my teenage boys started. Where do I go from here? Can someone hook me up? I have no cable either, what do I need? Thanks in advance for your help. We want to be able to engrave pens that we make. This could do that right? Can you put real ultra small bits in it? Like 1/8" shaft?

:dumbfounded:

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Re: New Owner of MicroMill 2000, HELP!

Post by TDIPower » Thu 10 Mar , 2016 22:32 pm

You can just add the licence into the program, there is a thread on here somewhere that tells you how BUT Im sure you need you licence file off the disk to do it. I have 3.5" FDDs here and could pull the file off if you want me to (you would need to post the disk and I would post back). The file is just a few lines of text.

You can get 1/8" engraving tools (loads on auction sites). It all depends on what collets you have or if you have the Jacobs chuck with the machine. You can get 1/8" to 1/4" or 6mm collets so you can use the smaller tools in the larger Micromill collet.

If I were you I would use the micro mill to machine a block to hold the pens so you could load several at once. A simple strap over the top. Once you have that you can set up your drawing program and put the text required where each pen is and away you go. If you do it that way you will only need to set up all your offsets once, and just reset the Z height when you do a tool change/replacement.

I have done quite a lot of machining with the micromill and happily milled modelling foam blocks 100x200x60mm in 3d with 40mm depths of cut with feed rates of 300mm a min and the foam just held on the bed with double sided tape!

Where are you? If you are anywhere the Sheffield/Rotherham/Barnsley area I might be able to give you a hand.

Pretty much all your questions have answers on this forum, you do need to start reading. I may have a complete PC running XP and FDD available as I may be replacing it in the Easter break. It is currently installed with all the software for the Micromill, I would need to remove the licence but you could just install your own then.

You do need the key to get the machine running (or by pass the switch). If you are ok with electronics and can follow a diagram you will find the schematics on here to enable you to bypass the key switch.

RS232 Cable, From my records you need a cable as follows 9 pin at the PC 25pin at the Micromill. However I have a niggle that this may not be for the micromill. I will grab a lead in work tomorrow from a working machine and double check if I get chance.
9 pin fmale 25pin male
Case -- -
1 DCD <- 8 DCD
2 RD <- 3 TX
3 TD -> 2 RX
4 DTR -> 20 DTR
5 GND -- 7 GND
6 DSR <- 6 DSR
7 RTS -> 4 RTS
8 CTS <- 5 CTS
9 RI <- 22 RI

Hope that helps

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: New Owner of MicroMill 2000, HELP!

Post by Martin » Fri 11 Mar , 2016 8:40 am

You can buy a 3 1/2" USB floppy disc drive.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5-USB-Exter ... SwFqJWjOVb