2005 dispatch Micromill with USB port on the topboard?

All info relating to the Denford MicroMill and MicroTurn lathes and mills

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

summetj
Hardware/Software: ScanTek 2000 ScanMill (Micromill 2000)
ScanTek 2000 ScanTurn (Microturn 2000)

2005 dispatch Micromill with USB port on the topboard?

Post by summetj » Sun 10 Jan , 2016 17:44 pm

I have a dispatch date2005 Scantek 2000 (re-branded denford Micromill) and the top board has what looks to be a USB type B port just below the DB9 serial pin port.
topboard_connectors.jpg
Top Board with 7 segment display, DB9 cable, and USB Type B connector to the bottom left
topboard_connectors.jpg (1.3 MiB) Viewed 5476 times
(It also has what looks to be an Ethernet port on the side...)

I currently have a USB serial port adapter on order, but I was wondering if perhaps I could plug a USB cable into the USB type B port and access the serial port of the machine that way?

Or is that port used for something completely different? (I've heard of people using USB connectors for proprietary purposes (especially hidden inside a machine like this) and I don't want to plug anything in that will fry the machine or my laptop....)

Also, does anybody know what serial port settings (baud rate, etc...) I should use and if the machine will spit out any data when I connect? (I'm trying to verify operation, have no software right now.)

Thanks for any input,
Jay

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: 2005 dispatch Micromill with USB port on the topboard?

Post by Martin » Tue 12 Jan , 2016 10:44 am

Yes you should be able to connect directly to the USB port. You will have to install the Baldor USB Driver which is on the VRMilling CD.