boots
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Micromill 2000 “Machine Error: Exceeding Limits

Post by boots » Mon 02 Mar , 2009 15:00 pm

MicroMill 2000
S/N 56487
November 2001

Description of problem: I stopped the machine to oil it recently, and ever since then, each time I start to cut something I get a message that says: “Machine Error: Exceeding Limits.” I have tried changing cutting bits, made new designs, etc. and nothing seems to help correct this problem. Any ideas you can give me to correct this problem would be helpful.

boots
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by boots » Mon 02 Mar , 2009 15:09 pm

What version of VR Milling are you using?
Click on the "Help" tab and select "About". The version will be listed.

Check or re-set the "Work Piece Offsets".
In VR Milling version 2, make sure there is a Red check mark in front of the "Active" offset.

Attached is a Tech Article on setting the Offsets in VR Milling version 2.
Attachments
2000 Setting Workpiece Offsets in VR CNC Milling.pdf
(75.7 KiB) Downloaded 645 times

boots
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by boots » Mon 02 Mar , 2009 15:31 pm

You can check the selected offsets by using the MDI (Manual Data Input) tab.

Click on the MDI tab and in the "White Box" type in
x0y0 (zeros) <enter>
z0
See attached jpg.

Then click on the Triangle "Start" button. The machine will move to Work Piece Offset that is "Active".
Attachments
MDI Tab.jpg
MDI Tab.jpg (45.99 KiB) Viewed 8395 times

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 03 Mar , 2009 17:29 pm

Seemingly inexplicable move exceeds limits error messages are often caused by the Z tool length offset having been set my mistake..
Check the H value (next to the D value) in the control panel window, which is the active tool length offset.
(You'll see that its 0.000 in the above screenshot)

JCannon

Machine Error: Exceeding Limits

Post by JCannon » Wed 04 Mar , 2009 17:08 pm

I performed all of the suggestions concerning offsets posted previously and still have not had any luck with correcting this problem. The version of software I am using is 2.8.2.492. Not exactly sure about the H and D values mentioned on the previous post. The program stops on the first Z line that says "Z0.08" Again any help provided is appreciated.

JCannon

Post by JCannon » Wed 04 Mar , 2009 19:46 pm

I do not have the MDI tab on this version, so cannot check the H and D values.

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Wed 04 Mar , 2009 22:00 pm

Update VRMilling to the latest version. The version you have is quite old. The latest version can be downloaded from the Denford website. You need to download VRMilling Ver 2.31. The version you have is Ver 2.08.

Before you update make sure you have the VRMilling licence floppy or a Denford Dongle with VRMilling set.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 05 Mar , 2009 9:29 am

The download link is on this page:
http://www.website.denford.ltd.uk/suppo ... -downloads

I didn't realise you were using an old version...the new software will certainly help with your problems.

boots
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by boots » Thu 05 Mar , 2009 16:13 pm

Have you tried running a project file that worked before you have had this problem?

Are there any "Details" listed in the "Exceeds Limits Error"?

Is the cutting tool set to high in the collet?
In the JOG Mode, are you able to lower the "Z" axis far enough so that the cutting tool will touch the piece of sacrifice material that you have the billet mounted to?
You may need to loosen the cutting tool and pull it out of the collet, OR go into to the "Machine Parameters" and increase the negative "(-)Z" travel.
Last edited by boots on Thu 05 Mar , 2009 17:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JCannon

Post by JCannon » Thu 05 Mar , 2009 16:40 pm

OK, I downloaded version 2.31 and extracted the information. When I went to install it with my registration disk in the A: drive, I get a message that says that my disk is not formatted. I find this strange, because I just used it about a month ago to install the older version (2.08 ) when I got a newer computer to run the micromill. Any suggestions?

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 05 Mar , 2009 16:47 pm

If you can get the file off the floppy on another machine and copy it to a flash pen, it can be installed from any drive (eg C: D: E: ).

See this info for how to install a flash code manually:
viewtopic.php?t=100
Last edited by Denford Admin on Thu 05 Mar , 2009 16:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bradders
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by bradders » Thu 05 Mar , 2009 16:52 pm

On your PC with the old installation of VR milling ver 2.08, go into C:\Program Files\Denford\VRMilling and locate the file WindMill.ini. Open this up with Notepad and make a back up of the 3 lines

[Flash]
Flash_User=XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Flash_Code=XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Then cut and paste these 3 lines into WindMill.ini of your new VR Milling ver 2.31 installation

ALWAY MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR LICENCE FILES AS WE CHARGE FOR REPLACEMENTS :lol: :lol: :lol:

JCannon

Post by JCannon » Tue 10 Mar , 2009 17:36 pm

I just wanted you to know that I was able to correct the problem using the newer version of the VR software. Thanks for all the help!