Out of position error code

All info relating to the Denford EasiMill and EasiTurn lathes and mills

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Gorsebank
Hardware/Software: Machine Easimill 3
Software Licom Systems Alphacam

Out of position error code

Post by Gorsebank » Tue 18 Jan , 2022 17:44 pm

I own an Easimill 3 and I am getting the above error code when trying to machine an ellipse.

I am drawing the part in Alphacam and can send it to the mill over the serial link. After entering the offsets the machine drills two holes in the part and moves to the tool change position and stops as normal.

On the next press of the green button everything works as normal until the end mill is part way around the eclipse and then the error code is produced. I have read in the manual that it means the machine has not got to the position the program expects, how do a rectify this ?

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: 280 VS lathe, Denford Senior E-type mill, Senior Major Universal Mill

Re: Out of position error code

Post by Andy B » Thu 20 Jan , 2022 10:52 am

I'm no expert in CNC / G-code, but I know that ellipses can be problematic (in laser cutting too), as a quick web search shows.
Are you sure that the Easimill G-code controller has ellipse capability?
Have you ever cut ellipses before?
If you use multiple arcs to approximate the ellipse, does that work?
How precise do you need the finished item to be, compared to a theoretically exact ellipse?

Sorry for all the questions back....
Andy

Gorsebank
Hardware/Software: Machine Easimill 3
Software Licom Systems Alphacam

Re: Out of position error code

Post by Gorsebank » Thu 20 Jan , 2022 18:06 pm

Hi Andy

Sorry for the delay in answering your questions.

No I am not at all experienced with CNC in general and although I have used this machine for quite a while it’s normally as a manual mill or with simple drilling and profiling
Programs .

It’s the first time I have tried to mill an elipse, and although the shape is not critical, it’s for a number of flanges on a 7 1/4 steam loco, it would have been nice to cut a true elipse.
I will draw out the part as 4 arcs joined at tangents with 4 straight lines.

Unfortunately the power supply in the old PC I am using to draw the part and generate the NC code has just blown up, I have obtained a replacement and once it arrives will instal and if all is good with the PC I will give it a go.

Thanks for your response.

Ian