All info relating to the Denford EasiMill and EasiTurn lathes and mills

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Handi_andis
Hardware/Software: Easiturn 3
AcceliCAD

Spindle motor upgrade

Post by Handi_andis » Sat 11 Aug , 2018 19:43 pm

Hi

I am thinking of upgrading the spindle motor to a more powerful unit so as to be able to make best use of TCT onset tooling. I’m thinking of installing a motor in the 2.5kw to 3kw range and was just wondering if anybody had done that and what their experiences are?

Thanks

Andy

Ps I’ve done a Mach 3 conversion so if anyone is needing any PNC3 boards then please give me a shout particularly as the machine came with spare boards

rasp
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Re: Spindle motor upgrade

Post by rasp » Tue 04 Sep , 2018 1:05 am

I would think the rest of the machine is the limiting factor, using carbide on low power motors is fine just do lots of fast RPM small cuts.

25mm dia mild steel bar will run at 3000 rpm and cut at 0.25 depth of cut at 0.4mm per rev using high rake inserts no problem at all, the only problem is not getting burned by the hot chips.

Handi_andis
Hardware/Software: Easiturn 3
AcceliCAD

Re: Spindle motor upgrade

Post by Handi_andis » Sat 03 Nov , 2018 17:54 pm

That's the problem though, I can not get above 1650rpm at the moment and can not work out why. I am using a Teco E2-202-H1F inverter, which should go up to 120hz output frequency. Motor RPM = Frequency x 120 / number of poles, which should mean the motor can be driven at 3600rpm, but I am only getting 1170rpm once the motor pulleys are taken into account, which would be the equivalent of 39hz. Will be checking the parameters on the drive again but its all a bit of a mystery.

Thanks
Andy