All info relating to the Denford EasiMill and EasiTurn lathes and mills

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

nemo1966
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: None yet!

Easiturn 3 chuck question

Post by nemo1966 » Mon 12 Feb , 2018 23:28 pm

I have an easiturn 3 with a D1-3 chuck 125mm, it's on its last legs and so thinking of changing soon.

Question:
Will a D1-3 chuck 160mm fit/work ok on the original D1-3 back plate?

Thanks

bernt
Hardware/Software: Easiturn 3 + LinuxCNC

Re: Easiturn 3 chuck question

Post by bernt » Tue 13 Feb , 2018 1:26 am

Dear Nemo1966,

[quote]
Question:
[quote]

If it's a D1-3 chuck, it will fit the D1-3 spindle nose.

A D1-3 chuck has either directly mounted Camlock pins, or it is permanently mounted on a backplate with Camlock pins. In the second case, the backplate is a sort of interface between the D1-3 spindle nose and simpler chuck. If you swap chucks, you are supposed to keep that backplate always on the chuck, as it is generally more complicated to keep the chuck centred on the backplate.

A 160 mm chuck will fit the D1-3 version of the Easiturn 3 (26 mm spindle bore). (Do you need to verify if you have the D1-4 version with 38 mm spindle bore ?)

I use most of the time a 200 mm chuck, that came with my Easiturn 3. It is nice to have the bigger hole (> 50 mm) in the chuck. This allows me for example to put longer 50 mm raw material in the machine, which is in my case very useful for machining plastic bar.

I would suggest to get a 200 mm chuck, if you can afford it. The only problem I had with the 200 mm chuck was that soft jaws cost a lot of money.
(I finished buying a low-cost 125 mm chuck and much smaller soft jaws. This allows now to keep the soft jaws in that chuck, and go back to the 200 mm chuck for most of the rest of the work.)

Greetings from a happy Easiturn 3 user,
Bernt

nemo1966
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by nemo1966 » Tue 13 Feb , 2018 11:13 am

bernt wrote:Dear Nemo1966,
Question:

If it's a D1-3 chuck, it will fit the D1-3 spindle nose.

A D1-3 chuck has either directly mounted Camlock pins, or it is permanently mounted on a backplate with Camlock pins. In the second case, the backplate is a sort of interface between the D1-3 spindle nose and simpler chuck. If you swap chucks, you are supposed to keep that backplate always on the chuck, as it is generally more complicated to keep the chuck centred on the backplate.

A 160 mm chuck will fit the D1-3 version of the Easiturn 3 (26 mm spindle bore). (Do you need to verify if you have the D1-4 version with 38 mm spindle bore ?)

I use most of the time a 200 mm chuck, that came with my Easiturn 3. It is nice to have the bigger hole (> 50 mm) in the chuck. This allows me for example to put longer 50 mm raw material in the machine, which is in my case very useful for machining plastic bar.

I would suggest to get a 200 mm chuck, if you can afford it. The only problem I had with the 200 mm chuck was that soft jaws cost a lot of money.
(I finished buying a low-cost 125 mm chuck and much smaller soft jaws. This allows now to keep the soft jaws in that chuck, and go back to the 200 mm chuck for most of the rest of the work.)

Greetings from a happy Easiturn 3 user,
Bernt
Hi Bernt, thanks for the very informative answer.

It is definitely the D1-3 version with the 26mm spindle bore. The front part of the chuck comes off the backplate and has the camlock pins on it. Having a bigger chuck with a bigger center hole is one of the reasons for swapping sizes also.

I guess I was worried that with a bigger chuck I had to get a bigger back plate to support the size.

Any tips for fitting?

Thanks again for the informative post
Steve

bernt

Post by bernt » Tue 13 Feb , 2018 12:42 pm

Hi Steve,
The front part of the chuck comes off the backplate and has the camlock pins on it.
...not sure to fully understand your backplate configuration : why does your chuck need a backplate, if the Camlock pins are fixed directly to the chuck ? Could you send a photo ?

Any tips for fitting?
As for the backplate fitting, I'm not an expert (...coming for computer science and electronics). Next time I would definitively put some protection over the bedways to protect them from the abrasive shavings from the cast backplates. And you should be careful when cutting the recess that will fit the inside the back of the chuck : once cut to far, it does not centre any more.
I guess I was worried that with a bigger chuck I had to get a bigger back plate to support the size.
Yes. The 200 mm backplate I got from rdgtools.co.uk is still in their catalogue, although it is difficult to locate using their own search field. You can use Google to find it on Ebay, Amazon and their proper website : "D1-3 LATHE CHUCK BACKPLATE (200MM) BANTAM / CHIPMASTER"

(Camlock D1-3 is often difficult to find, because of the spelling variants D3, D13, D-1-3.)

Otherwise you can just get a chuck with the backplate already fitted, for example :
"RDG TOOLS 200MM 3 - JAW SELF CENTERING LATHE CHUCK D13 CAMLOCK PINS COLCHESTER"
(I do not own that one.)

Have a nice day,
Bernt

nemo1966
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by nemo1966 » Tue 13 Feb , 2018 13:42 pm

Ah you see I am from a Computing/electronics background as well. As such didn't realise that I didn't need a different back plate. The cam pins are directly on the chuck. (I am 99.99% sure)

Like this:

thanks
Steve

bernt

Post by bernt » Tue 13 Feb , 2018 14:25 pm

Yes, this looks like an integrated Camlock backplate :
there is very little space between the backplate and the scroll pinion. There is probably no other backside cover than the backplate. Taking the backplate off disassembles the chuck, giving access to the pinions and scroll plate. Such a chuck is potentially shorter, you get more of precious Z-space!

Hoping you'll find the right chuck,
Bernt

nemo1966
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by nemo1966 » Sun 18 Feb , 2018 20:55 pm

Hi I got the 200mm version, fitted in less than 2 minutes ... brilliant

Thanks for the help!
Steve

bernt