All info relating to the Denford EasiMill and EasiTurn lathes and mills

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Handi_andis
Hardware/Software: Easiturn 3
AcceliCAD

Easiturn 3 Tripping House RCD

Post by Handi_andis » Sat 11 Jul , 2015 12:03 pm

Hi

Firstly as a newbie to owning a Denford machine thank you to everyone that participates in this forum. I recently purchased a Denford Easiturn 3, which was working when I picked it up as the previous owner demonstrated it to me. I plugged it in yesterday and switched the main isolator to on and the system booted up fine complete with an audible humming noise, which I assume is the main power transformer. I put the key switch to the ‘MAN’ position and then pressed the energise axis motors button which resulted in a sound like a contactor closing followed by the system shutting down. A quick investigation revealed that the main house RCCB had tripped, which is a Hager CD 282U rated at 80Awith a 30mA earth trip setting.

I have searched the forum as per the forum rules and the only post that I found that was similar featured a Easimill tripping an RCD socket, which suggested plugging the machine into a plain socket to test whether it was a genuine fault but I do not have that option as it’s the main RCCB that’s tripping. Now it is quite possible that something has rattled loose in the machine during its loading, journey, unloading and positioning, but also it is equally possible that this is a known issue due to power spikes as the contactor closes. Hence, can someone please suggest how and where to start the diagnostic process please, as I do not want to move the machine and open it up if the issue is not with the machine itself.

Thanks

Andrew

dazz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Viceroy TDS 1/1GB lathe, Imperial, stripped down and rebuilt.
Viceroy Taper/Tracer attachment, Shop made cross slide tracer attachment, VSD.

Re: Easiturn 3 Tripping House RCD

Post by dazz » Sun 17 Jan , 2016 22:17 pm

Hi

The RCD is probably tripping because of all the power capacitors in the mill control system.
Filling the capacitors with electrons looks like leakage fault to the RCD.

Try connecting a 100W incandescent light in series with the mill.

If there is no fault the lamp will be dull, and the control system should power up and the RCD should not trip. You will not be able to run any motors because of the limited current available.

If there is a fault the lamp will be bright, and the mill side of the lamp will stay close to a low voltage.

Be very careful with AC voltages.

If leakage current is causing the RCD to trip, you will need to look at modifying your house switchboard. You will need a qualified electrician to do this work so you will still be able to insure your house.
Regards

Dazz

DavidB
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Triac, Orac

Post by DavidB » Sun 17 Jan , 2016 23:43 pm

Consider getting a sparky in to check the system it's plugged into. I recently had a problem with my inverter TIG welder tripping the RCD when it was switched on, not when the arc was initiated, and the TIG welder checked out perfectly, turned out the RCD had gone bad. The welder pre-dated the house mains rewire and the RCD was about 12 years old and tested faulty and when replaced all was good again. I have been warned by my sparky to not hold the test button down on a RCD for too long as he had one blow up on him and I have seen other reports online of some makes doing similar, basically he advised if it didn't trip when the test button was pushed don't hold it down longer.

Handi_andis
AcceliCAD

Post by Handi_andis » Mon 18 Jan , 2016 18:30 pm

Thanks. This is a brand new house though we new modern RCDs. Putting in a filter on the inverter has solved the issue, and that was also backed up by an Electrical Engineer independelty suggesting a filter was probably required. If my main workshop trips on such things though, I will get the RCDs checked there as I know they are older as its a rented building.

Cheers

Andy

dazz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Viceroy TDS 1/1GB lathe, Imperial, stripped down and rebuilt.
Viceroy Taper/Tracer attachment, Shop made cross slide tracer attachment, VSD.

Post by dazz » Mon 18 Jan , 2016 20:56 pm

Hello

RCDs should be tested every 6 months by manually tripping them.
Best to do at daylight saving when all the clocks need to be reset anyway.

Testing RCDs improves their reliability.

Filters can cause RCDs to trip if they have large capacitors/inductors.
Regards

Dazz

Handi_andis
AcceliCAD

Post by Handi_andis » Tue 19 Jan , 2016 13:49 pm

Thanks Dazz, a very interesitng and useful piece of advice
Andy