All info relating to the Denford EasiMill and EasiTurn lathes and mills

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Adee
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Easiturn3 X homing position switch location

Post by Adee » Sun 05 Apr , 2009 13:00 pm

Hi
Just wanted the comfirm the location of the X axis homing sensor.
from what I have read, I will have to take the cross slide off to access the sensor.

Is there anyway of checking the sensor before getting my tools out.

I have done the T test, but cant move the X axis manually to make or break the signal?

Adee

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 06 Apr , 2009 9:54 am

I have done the T test, but cant move the X axis manually to make or break the signal?
Don't know the specifics of that machine, but you should be able to disconnect the X stepper motor (or pull a drive fuse maybe ?) so that you'll be able to wind the X screw by hand while in Test mode. It'll be the stepper motor holding torque preventing you from doing it with the power on (unless there's a mechanical brake on that axis??)

Adee
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by Adee » Mon 06 Apr , 2009 21:41 pm

Right I have taken off the X axis drive belt cover and have turned the leadscrew, while the 'T' screen is showing. The datum senor seems to be working, show 0 or 1 as I wind the leadscrew in and out.
Could the error Im getting be the micro switch?

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Mon 06 Apr , 2009 22:55 pm

The T test page displays the overtravel switch message on the bottom of the page when the switch is pressed so it`s quite easy to test. What is the problem you are experiencing? Could it be the stepper drive?

Adee
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by Adee » Tue 07 Apr , 2009 0:26 am

Hi
The easiturn was running fine, the next day, turn on and tried to zero machine out, X axis moves to home position (moves back and forth)
then nothing. screen states homing is in progress. Z axis does not move.

By pressing 'E' stop, shows up X axis error.

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Tue 07 Apr , 2009 18:37 pm

That is just showing the first drive error. When you press the E-Stop the power to all the drives drops off therfore putting drive errors in the control. I presume therfore the fault is on the Z Axis & most likely the CD20 drive card. If you remove the cover & power the drives up you can see the drive LED`s for both axis & compare. The green LED should illuminate when the drive is healthy & then every 4 steps of movement from what I remember. I guess you may have a red fault LED on the Z axis one.

Adee
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by Adee » Tue 07 Apr , 2009 18:40 pm

The error states 'Motor drive fault in X'

Adee
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by Adee » Tue 07 Apr , 2009 23:43 pm

Hi Martin
I have just checked what you have stated.
I think the X axis is working ok.
All the limit switches (4 off) and home sensors (2 off) seem to be work ok on the 'T' screen.
when I powered up the control, the two drive boards have green leds on, all red leds are off.
seems the Z axis is the one at fault

Any more ideas?

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Wed 08 Apr , 2009 18:36 pm

It may be worth checking that the ribbon cable that connects to the drive back plane card is pushed fully in to the control card. You may be best looking from above down the centre. If you follow the ribbon cable from the board the drives push in to to the main card & just make sure the cable is connected correctly.
What about the drives? Have you tried interchanging them?

Adee
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by Adee » Thu 09 Apr , 2009 0:26 am

I double checked the ribbon cable seems to be clip in fine at both ends.
I swapped the drive boards over, no different, X axis homes out ok, no movement in the Z axis as before. I suppose thats one good thing drive boards are ok.
I noticed while the machine is trying to home out the Z axis stepper motor is solid and will not rotate by forcing it, but once E stop is active rotates freely, so seems to be getting power, but no sign to tell it what to do.
Is there any connection block between the stepper motor wires going to the control?

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Thu 09 Apr , 2009 12:26 pm

It sounds like the Z Axis drive is not getting the pulse signal from the control card. What happens to the green LED on the X & Z drives when you ask it to go to Datum? The LED should pulse as the drive is being asked to move.

IC 39 on the PNC 3 Interface Board looks to be the opto isolator for the Z Step output to the drive card via pin 12 of Stepper Motor Drive Signal cable ( I presume this is the ribbon cable you looked at) I think IC 39 is near the top right hand corner of the interface board. It may be worth checking for damage.

It may be worth checking the LED`s on the interface card that plugs in to both drives, though they appear to be indivual fuses for each axis. From what you say the Z axis powers up if the screw is solid when power is applied.

Adee
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by Adee » Thu 09 Apr , 2009 13:52 pm

Hi
On either of the drive boards when in the Z axis slot light up green when first powered up. then when homing out, leds switch off.
when home position is achieved the green led lights up (thats what the X axis is doing)
This is not lighting up on the Z axis board because home position is not being achieved (no movement on axis).

All the Leds light up on the drive interface board, fuses seem ok.

I have no IC39 it empty, see image

Just got to thank you Martin on all you help so far on my issue, you have been a big help.

Adee
Attachments
CIMG1227low.JPG
PNC3 interface board
CIMG1227low.JPG (1.09 MiB) Viewed 12748 times

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Thu 09 Apr , 2009 15:25 pm

The drawings are the same for the PNC3 Lathe & Mill so I guess we need to be looking at the what the drawings show as the Y Axis on the Electrical Drawings.
Therefore the IC for the Z Step is IC35 & the signal goes out on pin 19 of the ribbon cable.
We have just scanned the Easiturn PNC3 Manual & will try to add it to the Forum asap.

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Thu 09 Apr , 2009 15:35 pm

Are all the pins ok on connector PLC?. Looking at your picture there looks to be a compound covering the top 4 soldered joints.

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Thu 09 Apr , 2009 15:49 pm

Adee
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by Adee » Thu 09 Apr , 2009 22:00 pm

Just checked the stuff you pointed out on the PLC, It was just a bit of the backing stuff from the mosfet above it.

I have just notice that on the axis drivers interface board(the board the two drivers plug into) with the two large green LED's which you can only view from looking down from the top of the control . One of them only lights up when you power the control up, but when you power up the motors, by pressing the axis power button above the E/stop button.
Then the two Led's then light up.

Adee
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by Adee » Wed 15 Apr , 2009 22:34 pm

Just checked all the wiring from control to the Z axis stepper motor all seems in order, checked the grey ribbon cable from driver interface board to the main circuit board seems fine.
I swapped over the stepper motor cables on the driver interface board (4 wire plugs), so the X axis drive circuit will now run the Z axis stepper motor, which works, but the motor seems run fast then slow (maybe missing steps? incorrect wiring because its normally connected to the X axis?).

Stuck for ideas now really.

Anybody got any more ideas?

Adee

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Wed 15 Apr , 2009 22:45 pm

It sounds like there may be a fault with the LCB3 board not outputting the Z steps. It may be worth getting in touch with the original manufacturer of the control unit. It will have been made by North East Electronics.
http://www.nee-controls.com/index.html

The alternative is to get hold of a scope to check the Z axis drive signals. From what you say the drive appears to power up & the motor sounds ok from your last post. It does sound like the Z Step signal is missing.