Easiturn 3 Zero Datum

All info relating to the Denford EasiMill and EasiTurn lathes and mills

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

billh

Easiturn 3 Zero Datum

Post by billh » Tue 13 Jul , 2010 14:33 pm

Hi,

When moving to zero datum after start-up, the z travel sticks about an inch from the end. The motor is straining away so I assume it is mechanically stuck. I think it may be the leadscrew cover which I've had trouble with before but this time it won't budge. I need to move the carriage back towards the chuck to release the cover. Is there a way to temporarily over-ride the zero command so I can use the axis travel buttons?

Also several of the panel push switches have started to become unreliable. Is there anywhere to get replacement switches ?

Thanks

alanhende

Re: Easiturn 3 Zero Datum

Post by alanhende » Tue 13 Jul , 2010 16:01 pm

Hi,
There is no way to bypass the datum routine in the software. However, if you locate the Z axis homing switch then you can trace where the cable goes to, IE a terminal strip somewhere on the machine. You can then disconnect & bypass it with a piece of wire to fool it through a datum sequence. If that's too complicated then you could do something similar inside the controller. Let me know if you want me to explain further.
WRT the switches, there are 2 types. Ones with a round base & one with a square base.
If you take the lid off & look behind the keyboard you will see the shape of the switch base.

The board footprint is different for each switch & the only switches in existence are the square one as the round based ones were unreliable & ditched. If your switches are square then I have some. If they are round then the keyboard would have to be drilled & linked to accept the square switch.
Hope this helps..

billh

Re: Easiturn 3 Zero Datum

Post by billh » Tue 13 Jul , 2010 16:33 pm

Thanks for your advice.

Before I try this, is it possible to get access to the leadscrew and wind it back manually ?

The switches are round base. I suppose that means I can expect ongoing reliability problems! Since the board has to come out to solder in new switches anyway, is it easy to modify to take the square base switches ? Or is it better to try and get hold of a replacement PCB ?

Thanks