All info relating to the Denford Cyclone lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

black8898
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Cyclone Lathe

Post by black8898 » Sat 24 Oct , 2009 9:43 am

Hi there
I have just started to encounter a problem whilst machining what happens is that when maching a part everything goes fine unti a tool change then as the spindle slows down to a stop the machine throws an alarm and the screen reads 1008 spindle drive and the only thing that I can do is to turn the lathe off leave it for a few minutes then turn it back on but as soon as it gets to tool change it throws the same alarm , also if I operate the spindle manually at a speed of say 1500rpm and slow it down manually it throws the alarm again saying 1008 spindle drive , the machine does have a pneumatic chuck and I have checked to make sure jaws move freely and do not stick and also made sure that there is no shortage of air pressure as I was told that this might cause this problem , any info would be greatly appreciated
black8898

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Cyclone Lathe

Post by Martin » Sat 24 Oct , 2009 19:27 pm

It sounds as though the inertia from the chuck is causing the spindle drive to trip probably from a over current during deceleration.

What type of spindle drive is fitted?
You will need to increase the decel a fraction.

To reset the drive at the moment you should be able to just activate the E-Stop button for around 30 seconds to let the drive power down & then release the E-Stop.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 26 Oct , 2009 10:46 am

You could alter the deceleration parameter, or it maybe that a braking resistor could be added to improve stopping performance.
It sounds like there is a lot more weight to slow down, than originally anticipated - a braking resistor lets the spindle drive "dump" the motor's energy out quickly.

black8898
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by black8898 » Mon 26 Oct , 2009 10:58 am

if the slideway lube oil was low would that cause the spindle to trip the alarm ?? also you say I could alter the deceleration parameter , could you tell me which number parameter this is ??
black8898

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 26 Oct , 2009 11:24 am

What make/model drive is it ?

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Mon 26 Oct , 2009 17:17 pm

Have you got the serial number & year of manufacture?

black8898
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by black8898 » Mon 26 Oct , 2009 19:14 pm

The serial number of my machine is CY14111A and year of manufacture March 1992 , it is a cyclone lathe and the fanuc control is OT-A , hope that helps
black8898

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Mon 26 Oct , 2009 23:16 pm

I will have a look for the record sheet later this week.

black8898
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by black8898 » Wed 28 Oct , 2009 15:42 pm

Is there anyone who can give me a list of what each parameter does ?? I have all the parameters from my machine and people have been kind enough to give me certain info on some of the parameters but it would be nice and helpful if I could have a full list
black8898

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 28 Oct , 2009 16:05 pm

Do you mean Fanuc control parameters, or the Spindle drive parameters ?
You need to tell us make and model numbers for both of these.
Which type of spindle drive you have inside the electrical box, will determine what info you would need to alter the spindle deceleration.
A couple of photos of the screen, and the inside of the electrical box would help !

black8898
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by black8898 » Thu 29 Oct , 2009 10:01 am

Have not got camera hady at the moment but the details are as follows : (Spindle Drive) Make - Mitsubishi / Model - FR-Z024-2.2K and the Fanuc control is a OT-Model A , hope that is all the info required
black8898

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 29 Oct , 2009 11:27 am

I've found a spindle drive manual and posted it in the downlods section:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2437&start=0

However, we only fitted a handful of these drives, and we think they require a special programming unit to enable parameter changes :(

You might be able to change the spindle analogue command ramp speed in the Fanuc parameters, I'm having a look for a listing of those next...

black8898
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by black8898 » Thu 29 Oct , 2009 12:49 pm

Many thanks for the info it is much appreciated , however I have found a major problem with PCB inside spindle drive one of the capacitors looks to have been changed and very poorly replaced and where the soldering was not done properly it has burnt a hole into the PCD and burnt part of the circuit track away but looks to be repairable so will give it a try first as it is the cheapest thing to try at the moment , are there replaceable drives still available ?? and where might I get one if they are ?? one last thing in the manual you very kindly got for me it shows a resistor to aid braking of the motor could you give me any info on it's value and where I might get one from ??
again many thanks for you r help
black8898

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 29 Oct , 2009 14:25 pm

As i said, we only fitted a handful of these drives a long time ago now, so I think you're best off searching the internet or contacting Mitsubishi.
Does the manual not mention any braking resistor options ?
There is nothing special about them so you should be able to get a suitable 2.2Kw one from anywhere as long as you know the voltage,ohms and power rating.

Mitsubishi do supply them, but you really need to check the ratings to find a suitable alternative:
http://www.mitsubishivfd.com/brake-resistor-c-0_8.html

black8898
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by black8898 » Fri 30 Oct , 2009 13:25 pm

Do you know if Denford are still able to supply Spindle drive Inverters for a 1992 cyclone lathe ?? does it have to be a Mitsubishi or will one of the others that Denford used be ok ?? any idea on prices of these units ??
black8898

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 30 Oct , 2009 16:49 pm

Do you think yours is broken then ?
We don't supply anything like those nowadays, I think a good old search on google and ebay will help...
Found these people who repair Mitsubishi equipment:
http://www.ndc-uk.com/parts_Mitsubishi.htm
They may also be able to help you with a brake resistor...