Offsets when milling

A forum for issues relating to the use of TechSoft 2D design and Denford CNC machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

tecteach

Offsets when milling

Post by tecteach » Thu 24 May , 2007 20:11 pm

I have drawn a 20mm x 20mm square using techsoft 2D design and cut it out using a 2.5mm diameter cutter. I got a 22.5 x 22.5mm square as expected. However, when I used the tool offset when I came to the plot option and pen settings plot I put in 1.25 and then -1.25 nothing changed. I still got a 22.5mm square.

So, two questions here :

1) How do I get a 20mm milled square pocket with a 2.5mm diameter cutter, make the vector line 17.5mm square ?

2) What is the tool offset for in the plot menu pen set up ??

Any help appreciated :D
Why did I choose this profession, cos it aint for the money !

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 25 May , 2007 9:26 am

AFIK to get the right size square you have to actually draw the toolpath required, so your're back to using the offset path function.

(Note that there are two options here for graphical path or tool path offset - I think the difference being that the toolpath version will stop the tool going into sharp corners)

I'm not sure what the tool offset value is for in the pen setup - possibly to do with roland machines :? Is it in the help ?

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Fri 25 May , 2007 10:27 am

If you have VR Milling 5 then there is a Drawing Import (DXF) that will accept DXF files from Techsoft. :?:

This import will allow you to follow the line, machine inside or outside of the line.

This will let you make whatever you want and is much more intuitive than the older Techsoft post processor. :)