Corel Draw dxf export

Submit any comments, issues or requests relating to the use of VR Milling Version 5 and 2

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

markj

Corel Draw dxf export

Post by markj » Tue 23 Jan , 2007 10:03 am

Are there any special settings for exporting dxf files from Corel Draw to VR Milling V5? I've tried several Autocad formats 2002 etc. but everytime I open it up in VR Milling the image looks nothing like the original design, too small and curves converted to lines etc. Any ideas?

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Tue 23 Jan , 2007 14:47 pm

Try saving the file in AutoCAD 13 format. this normally works!

Can you post a sample DXF and we will check it out
:?:

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 24 Jan , 2007 9:46 am

too small
This could be because Coreldraw presumes everyone uses imperial units, and is exporting the DXF in inches, not mm.
Change the import units to Inch on the first wizard screen...

curves converted to lines
Becaause there are different ways of defining curved surfaces, the dxf import may not recognise all, and will have to convert it into a polyline containing basic lines / arcs.
Try altering the original curve and converting / expanding it into more basic entities (If VRMilling does not accurately represent the shape you require)
Attachments
vrmilling-dxf-import-units.gif
Set import units to Inch, if the exporting program (eg Coreldraw) assumes imperial units
vrmilling-dxf-import-units.gif (7.66 KiB) Viewed 12440 times

markj

dxf export

Post by markj » Fri 26 Jan , 2007 11:03 am

I’ve tried exporting the dxf as Autocad R13 format, unfortunately the same happens. I also made sure that the millimetres were selected. I’ve enclosed the dxf file and I will try out adapting the curves. I’m using Corel 12.
Attachments
radio_insidev1.zip
(4.12 KiB) Downloaded 779 times

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 26 Jan , 2007 11:43 am

Hi,

I can see your problem...

The file seems to be importing differently in VR Milling, than in our other CAM product QuickCAM 2D (see screenshots)

Can you confirm that the shape is correct in QuickCAM 2D ?
We can then look at the VR Milling spline import and fix it.

In the meantime, you could use QuickCAM 2D to create toolpaths (if you have a copy)
Attachments
dxf-spline-problem.gif
dxf-spline-problem.gif (23 KiB) Viewed 12421 times

markj

dxf export

Post by markj » Sat 27 Jan , 2007 14:35 pm

This is what the original design in Corel looks like, i've also included the export settings that I'm using. Unfortunately we don't have Quickcam 2D, everything else except that.
Attachments
corel4.jpg
Design in Corel
corel4.jpg (76.4 KiB) Viewed 12415 times

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Sat 27 Jan , 2007 15:21 pm

Even though QuickCAM is doing a better job, it looks like its still not converting the splines / curves as intended - like I said, its down to how corel is outputting the curve control points, and how our s/w is interpreting them.

Can you attach the .cdr - I have CorelDraw 10 here, and can experiment with it.

markj

Corel draw dxf export

Post by markj » Mon 29 Jan , 2007 12:52 pm

The file is for version 10 Corel Draw, although we use version 12. I tried importing the dxf file into ArtCAM which is normally very good at dealing with dxf's, hoping to use the dxf export function from there. When the dxf was imported into ArtCAM the same problem occured, straight and broken lines etc!
Attachments
radio_V10.zip
zip of a Corel V10 file
(5.38 KiB) Downloaded 705 times

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 29 Jan , 2007 13:35 pm

I think we are struggling a bit against Coreldraw and its insistance on outputting DXF in imperial units - I also suspect that V12 is exporting different to v10, as I get better results with v10 :?

The only way I can get to create a toolpath from your shape, is by running QuickCAM 2D, and using the clipboard to copy and paste the design from Coreldraw, into QuickCAM 2D (see pics - I have created an inside contour toolpath on your shape)
Attachments
radio-in-quickcam-2d.gif
Shape pasted into quickCAM 2d, and an offset path created
radio-in-quickcam-2d.gif (18.67 KiB) Viewed 12397 times
radio-in-coreldraw-10.gif
Your shape loaded into Coreldraw 10. Copy
radio-in-coreldraw-10.gif (19.81 KiB) Viewed 12397 times

markj

Post by markj » Thu 01 Feb , 2007 15:20 pm

I was trying to streamline the way our machines work with 2D profiles, as some students want to use the same profiles on the Versalaser for acrylic and on the router to machine MDF. At present we only use Corel for 2D work.

I've found a temporary solution as we don't have Quickcam 2D. If the original vector is drawn in ArtCAM and then exported as a dxf the file works with Corel and VR Milling!! A bit drawn out I know and students have to learn an extra bit of software but it works. I've not tried ProD yet.

Thanks for you help

PS can you link up 2D Design to the Versalaser?

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 01 Feb , 2007 15:36 pm

Yes - QuickCAM 2D has some good features for printing / plotting to the Versalaser - for example you can select a colour palette with only black,read and blue. It also has a good print preview which allows you to shift and scale your output without altering the design:
viewtopic.php?t=564

Our LaserCAM product is basically the same software, with the machine tool CAM taken out of it. LaserCAM is free with any Versalaser bought from us.