VR 5.13, default Machine

Submit any comments, issues or requests relating to the use of VR Milling Version 5 and 2

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

jmahdavi

VR 5.13, default Machine

Post by jmahdavi » Fri 24 Nov , 2006 13:17 pm

We have 3 StarMills, (Upgraded to NovaMill) two MicroRouters and 1 Triac, these Machines have a dedicated PC attached to them which is connected to our network.

These PC's have VR Milling 5.13 installed on them.

When a user uses VR Milling on the PC attached to the MicrouRouter, this correctly displays the current machine as MicroRouter, if the same person goes to the PC attached to a StarMill, then VR Milling sets the current machine to MicroRouter, when you manually change the current machine to NovaMill and then go back to the MicrouRouter, VR Miling then shows NovaMill

I understand, and correct me if I am wrong, that VR Milling is saving the last machine to the user's roaming profile, so that when they move PC's it always remembers what the last machine VR Milling was selected to use.

This is a problem for us though. Users by default cannot write to any local disks on the PC's.

What I want to do if possible is configure somewhere on the C:\ the default machine to always use

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 28 Nov , 2006 14:53 pm

I can see your problem :? ...

Our problem is that we've set the software up for roaming use in a classroom environment so whenever the student logs in to play with the virtual (VR) machine, then their settings are kept the same as they set last time - otherwise the machine selected (and positions of forms etc etc...) would change every time another student logged in and changed a setting, moved a form

Can you setup the PC's that are connected to the machine to have one login, that can access CNC files in a shared "dump" area. Then the students just need to remember to copy their files there, before going to work on the machine ?

I can't really see any way around this problem - the students must be allowed to select their own individual machine to work on and simulate, before actually going to the machine itself.

You should find that VR Milling v5 displays a warning if you try connecting to a different machine type than the one selected - it reads some data bits on the control to determine what type of machine it is.
If this warning does not appear when the wrong machine selected in the software, then the control needs these data bits setting up - a 2 minute task in EasyUpgrader.

If you really can't find a suitable solution, we will have to look at adding some kind of override file, which will force the software to ignore the users machine type setting.

Let me know what you think

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 05 Dec , 2006 17:17 pm

Just been looking again at an oldish problem where we wanted to run two machines from one PC.

I think the same principles will allow you to setup new exe's and shortcuts on the machine PC's - these will then use different INI files to the users normal ones - hence the machine type shouldn't ever change from user to user.
It works because the vrmilling5.exe uses its own name to go look for a setup .ini file, so if you called it fred.exe - it would look for fred.ini - first in the users app data folder, then in \program files...

Have a look at the relevant bits of this post...

viewtopic.php?t=594