Triac Z axis fault

Submit any comments, issues or requests relating to the use of VR Milling Version 5 and 2

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

jim the fish

Triac Z axis fault

Post by jim the fish » Thu 25 Oct , 2007 10:14 am

Here's the problem my 1988 Triac whilst doing a program without warning the Z axis error comes up saying either overtravel or Z axis did not reach end point (accompanied by the annoying bleep) I try to reset the ABS but the bleep keeps giving me the elbow. If I turn off the machine completly and restart it still bleeps at me. Sometime this fault also happens when I'm mechanically jogging the Z axis. After several attempts the machine gives a click from the electrics then allows me to reset ABS. sometimes the machine works all day with no problems then it defaults several times. HELP PLEASE, Unfortunatly I have no way of saving any programs, so I have to re-enter them every time this happens. The machine is still using the NEE electronics system, as I'm to mean to upgrade.
Jim

Matt
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by Matt » Fri 26 Oct , 2007 13:36 pm

I sometimes get strange problems like this and it usually comes down to a loose wire. Normally on the large connector block where the wires from the circuit board connect with the wires that go to the drives etc. When you open and close the box all these wires flex.

You really should connect it to a PC, you won't regret it.

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Fri 26 Oct , 2007 15:28 pm

What control does your Triac have?

If it is a PNC3 (North East Electronics) it may be worth looking at the " T Test " screen the next time the fault appears.

If you turn on the machine & then press "T" it will display the machine diagnostics. At the bottom it will display any overtravel messages.
It may be that you have a broken wire going to one of the overtravel switches or even a faulty switch.