Viceroy TDS 1/1GB

Read what other Denford users are doing with their machines and software.
Educational resources, ideas and courseware.
If you have a Denford related success story, please tell us about it here.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

firebird

Viceroy TDS 1/1GB

Post by firebird » Wed 30 May , 2007 22:12 pm

Hi
Can anyone help me?
I am new to this kind of turning I’ve Bought a Viceroy TDS 1 / 1GB serial number 285229m
Will the M stand for metric, will that be the leadscrew and will the original main power switch run a single phase motor in reveres the switch is like the one pictured in ( dazz Posted: Thu 02 Nov , 2006 10:42 Post subject: Viceroy T.D.S 1/1 G.B - All finished ) but not the lathe mine is more square looking
And can anyone tell me the date of manufacture from serial number 285229m

This information will be much appreciated
Thanks
Firebird

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: 280 VS lathe, Denford Senior E-type mill, Senior Major Universal Mill

Post by Andy B » Thu 31 May , 2007 10:04 am

Hi Firebird,

We haven't yet found any information to track serial numbers back to dates on these manual machines, except for the 280 'Synchro' models which had a year of manufacture stamped on the S/No. plate.

Does your machine have a metric pitch screwcutting gearbox and metric top & cross-slide dials?
And is the chuck fitting a thread or camlock?
The 'more square looking' shape suggests it is probably a Mk2 (see http://www.lathes.co.uk/viceroy/page4.html).

I don't see why the existing switch gear shouldn't be capable of reversing a 1ph motor, but I think you'll need to re-wire everything. A 3ph motor is reversed simply by swapping 2 of the phase lines, whereas for a 1ph motor you just reverse the connections for the start winding only.

Andy

firebird

Post by firebird » Fri 01 Jun , 2007 21:10 pm

Hi Andy
Thanks a lot for your help while cleaning the cabinet out I found what looks like a delivery invoice can’t see much thick of oil it’s says Viceroy TDS 1/1GB metal turning lathe complete with std equipment 380/440/3/50 (metric) and inspected by a Mr Hall but no date it is required for delivery w/c 5/11/79 so this will give me some idea how old it is.

On a plate on the gearbox it says 3mm L/Screw, the apron, and tool jib and cross slide dials are in metric and imperial
Inside the back cover there is a spare set of change gears like the picture on this Webb site http://www.lathes.co.uk/viceroy/page4.html).

The chuck is fitting with a threaded back plate
As for the motor I’ll leave it as it is running in forwards on a dial switch might unscrew the chuck in reverse

I think there must be something wrong in the gearbox can’t get first gear so I’ll have to have a look

Once again thanks for your help

Firebird

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: 280 VS lathe, Denford Senior E-type mill, Senior Major Universal Mill

Gearbox problem

Post by Andy B » Mon 04 Jun , 2007 12:34 pm

Firebird,

I assume you've read the notes on operating these gearboxes.

Is it the front dial or the quadrant-type lever that you cannot select position '1'? The dial needs to be positioned fairly exactly before the quadrant lever can be moved.

Andy

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Gearbox problem

Post by Andy B » Mon 04 Jun , 2007 12:34 pm

Firebird,

I assume you've read the notes on operating these gearboxes.

Is it the front dial or the quadrant-type lever that you cannot select position '1'? The dial needs to be positioned fairly exactly before the quadrant lever can be moved.

Andy