Moulds made of 12mm MDF

Read what other Denford users are doing with their machines and software.
Educational resources, ideas and courseware.
If you have a Denford related success story, please tell us about it here.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

bstreater

Moulds made of 12mm MDF

Post by bstreater » Wed 15 Mar , 2006 0:24 am

I have found a lesson that the kids really love. We make moulds from 12mm MDF and cast them with metal from MCP which has a melting point of only 137 deg C. Simply melt it in a spoon over a bunson burner and pour in the mould. Is anyone else using this idea?

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Wed 15 Mar , 2006 16:29 pm

I have seen several schools doing somthing like this. They usualy design a medal or coin design. Casting into MDF allows the moulds to be used several times. We are about to submit a project to Data for artcam acreditation based on a similar project.

Do you have artcam? If so there is lots of ideal 3D clipart that can be used. Also it has the ability to expand a relief to allow for shrinkage.

I have used a hot air gun to melt the metal which is a simple and effective method.

Mr Orange

Post by Mr Orange » Fri 17 Mar , 2006 11:25 am

We have used plastic granules which you heat up in hot water or a microwave and press into the MDF moulds. When it sets again, its very tough and can be machined drilled and painted.

A company in Liverpool is selling similar stuff on ebay - search for
Morph-Plast
( also sold as Maji-plast in mainland europe )

PS have you any pictures of the work done ?
If you don't have a website to link pictures to, send them to the forum admin to include them.
There is a new section in the forum for projects and courseware for this type of thread.