Viceroy T.D.S 1/1 G.B - Removing the Spindle

Read what other Denford users are doing with their machines and software.
Educational resources, ideas and courseware.
If you have a Denford related success story, please tell us about it here.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

dazz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Viceroy TDS 1/1GB lathe, Imperial, stripped down and rebuilt.
Viceroy Taper/Tracer attachment, Shop made cross slide tracer attachment, VSD.

Viceroy T.D.S 1/1 G.B - Removing the Spindle

Post by dazz » Fri 06 Oct , 2006 11:29 am

Hi

I've worked my way towards the heart of the lathe. I have removed the bearing covers, gear train and spindle bearing lock nuts.

The grease has definitely deteriorated. It's dark and gungy looking. The oil is separating from the soap. It's definitely in need of replacement. There is no way I can properly clean out the bearings in situ. Too much risk of leaving, or introducing contamination into the bearings. I want to remove the spindle and bearings. Give them a good clean, grease them with fresh good stuff, and then re-install.
Attachments
IMG_0276.JPG
The chuck end of the spindle with cover off.
IMG_0276.JPG (123.15 KiB) Viewed 8310 times
IMG_0275.JPG
The left end of the spindle. The two left-hand threaded lock nuts have been removed.
IMG_0275.JPG (103.04 KiB) Viewed 8310 times
IMG_0261.JPG
Gear and grease covered lock nuts in place. The grease within the bearings is dark and oil is separating from the soap.
IMG_0261.JPG (104.2 KiB) Viewed 8310 times
IMG_0255.JPG
Gears on the spindle (top) and counter shaft (below) with the belt drive also visible
IMG_0255.JPG (150.78 KiB) Viewed 8310 times
IMG_0252.JPG
What it looked like before I took anything off.
IMG_0252.JPG (126.13 KiB) Viewed 8310 times
Last edited by dazz on Sat 14 Oct , 2006 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Dazz

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Sat 07 Oct , 2006 22:13 pm

My current plan is to use a ratchet cargo strop to pull the spindle toward the tailstock
My feeling is that this method will also require some extra force.

I'm sure a heavy synthetic / plastic hammer will be required as well, in order to shock the spindle out of its bearings - just think how long those two tight fitting bits of metal have been in contact for !
If you don't have one, I'd use a lump hammer and a piece of hard wood.

dazz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Viceroy TDS 1/1GB lathe, Imperial, stripped down and rebuilt.
Viceroy Taper/Tracer attachment, Shop made cross slide tracer attachment, VSD.

Post by dazz » Sun 08 Oct , 2006 6:51 am

Hi

On another web site the photos show a threaded rod being used to drag out the spindle. I am going to try this before the hammer trick. Hopefully with all the grease and oil around that area, there shouldn't be any spindle locking corrosion.
Regards

Dazz

caseyesstop

Re: Viceroy T.D.S 1/1 G.B - Removing the Spindle

Post by caseyesstop » Mon 24 Aug , 2009 14:52 pm

My first time using your net. Many thanks for helpful photos and correction of part numbers for Viceroy Lathe. .. I have dealt with Ashley Power Ltd 580 Ashley Rd Poole BH14 0AQ for years for all replacement bearing,at incredibly good trade prices. They quoted around £ 8.00 ea for headstock bearings! But now with virtually no sense of touch and loss of balance I have had to sell my boat and sadly have decided to clear my workshop. I used the lathe only twice in the last 4 years. If anyone is interested in an excellent buy contact me on kenzed@uwclub.net ... Located in Poole. With thanks
caseyesstop.