New user with old machine

Read what other Denford users are doing with their machines and software.
Educational resources, ideas and courseware.
If you have a Denford related success story, please tell us about it here.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

robwizard

New user with old machine

Post by robwizard » Fri 18 Jul , 2014 9:47 am

Just thought I would introduce myself. I have just got hold of an old Viceroy lathe.. think it's a TDS 1 but I'm not sure as it was dark when I got it home last night in a massive pile of bits :D

It looks to be in a pretty bad state.. no gearbox only change wheels and I daresay when I start putting it back together it will be missing plenty of bits. It has no cover for the gears so that's the first thing to look out for :(

Cheers

dazz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Viceroy TDS 1/1GB lathe, Imperial, stripped down and rebuilt.
Viceroy Taper/Tracer attachment, Shop made cross slide tracer attachment, VSD.

Re: New user with old machine

Post by dazz » Tue 22 Jul , 2014 9:12 am

Hi
Welcome to the forum.
Post lots of photos.
Regards

Dazz

robwizard

Post by robwizard » Tue 22 Jul , 2014 23:56 pm

Thanks! I will endeavor to do so!

I'm just sloshing a bit of paint on the cabinet whilst it's in bits so I will post some pictures once I'm near putting it back together!

Cheers

robwizard

Post by robwizard » Thu 24 Jul , 2014 23:52 pm

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to tell if my machine is metric or imperial? And also what type of thread would be in the tumble reverse selector as the lever is missing from mine and I would like to fashion a new one :D

Cheers

robwizard

Post by robwizard » Sun 27 Jul , 2014 11:11 am

Anyone out there? :D

Pete.
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Pete. » Sun 27 Jul , 2014 18:07 pm

Look at the cross slide and compound dials, if they are graduated in thousandths you have a imperial machine if they are mm it's metric. It'll either be 100 thou per turn or 2.5mm most likely. The tumbler reverse will almost certainly have an imperial thread for the lever.

robwizard

Post by robwizard » Sun 27 Jul , 2014 23:46 pm

The graduations are in 0.25, 0.50 0.75 etc and on the drill they look be in mm as well up to 5cm so I'm guessing metric? If so that makes me happy!

I will have a further look at the lever tomorrow.

I have got the machine as one piece (mostly..) as of this afternoon so I will stick some pictures up. Another question.. I'm missing one of the studs that holds the machine down but I can measure the others with a pitch gauge so that shouldn't be a problem. I was wondering though that between the machine and the drip tray should there be a washer of some sort? before I painted it I noticed that there were round impressions on the tray but nothing to leave them there on the base of the lathe?

Cheers

P.S does anyone have a good source for belts?