Denford paint

Read what other Denford users are doing with their machines and software.
Educational resources, ideas and courseware.
If you have a Denford related success story, please tell us about it here.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

rpwilson
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: None. I own a pre CNC Denford 280 Synchro lathe.

Denford paint

Post by rpwilson » Sun 08 Jun , 2014 0:19 am

Does anyone know the BS number, or paint manufacturers name for the light blue used on a Denford Synchro c 1980?
The paint on mine is in pretty good condition generally, and I've decide to leave 'as is' now its cleaned up, but the splashback has been repainted (badly) in hammerite blue, and its annoying me. Anyway, I've stripped it off, and primed it with red oxide, so need to know what next. At worst, I can take a small component down to the local paint mixing shop, and get them to match it.

Richard

dazz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Viceroy TDS 1/1GB lathe, Imperial, stripped down and rebuilt.
Viceroy Taper/Tracer attachment, Shop made cross slide tracer attachment, VSD.

Re: Denford paint

Post by dazz » Mon 09 Jun , 2014 8:50 am

Hi

I read somewhere that someone else had tried to match the Denford blue. As I recall, they couldn't match the hammerite.

I have another lathe and had the local paint shop mix a match in enamel paint. It was perfect but it wasn't hammerite.
Regards

Dazz

rpwilson
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: None. I own a pre CNC Denford 280 Synchro lathe.

Re: Denford paint

Post by rpwilson » Mon 09 Jun , 2014 9:07 am

dazz wrote:Hi

I read somewhere that someone else had tried to match the Denford blue. As I recall, they couldn't match the hammerite.

I have another lathe and had the local paint shop mix a match in enamel paint. It was perfect but it wasn't hammerite.
Mine isn't hammerite, its ordinary light blue. A previous owner had repainted the splashback in hammerite, very badly, which I have now stripped off, in the process revealing the original light blue over a red oxide primer. I've stripped it all back to bare metal, now want to repaint in the same light blue to match the lathe itself.
Anyway, I did suspect that the original colour wouldn't be readily available, so I'm off to the paint mixing shop clutching the travelling steady, to try and get a match.

Richard