Viceroy T.D.S 1/1 G.B Top slide strip and clean

Read what other Denford users are doing with their machines and software.
Educational resources, ideas and courseware.
If you have a Denford related success story, please tell us about it here.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

dazz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Viceroy TDS 1/1GB lathe, Imperial, stripped down and rebuilt.
Viceroy Taper/Tracer attachment, Shop made cross slide tracer attachment, VSD.

Viceroy T.D.S 1/1 G.B Top slide strip and clean

Post by dazz » Tue 03 Oct , 2006 10:58 am

The next stage was to strip and clean the top slide. No tricky bits here except the screw assembly. I couldn't remove the pin that holds the handle on. The action seemed to be smooth so I left it.

Along with a number of useful genuine Denford accessories, the lathe came with the slotted Tee boring table. This was made by the second owner for the first owner. The first owner died, and the second owner brought the lathe from the estate.

The boring table is a great idea because it allows a rear tool post(s) to be fitted, but it doesn't include a degree graduated ring. It's easy to swap betwen the two tables. I just need a vertical slide now for light milling work.
Attachments
IMG_0272.JPG
After cleaning and assembly, I added a silicon rubber dam to prevent any cooling fluid running down into the apron gearbox and contaminating the oil.
IMG_0272.JPG (155 KiB) Viewed 5646 times
IMG_0244.JPG
A close-up of the sliding surfaces. Note the hand scraping is still clearly visible. A further sign that this lathe has seen light service.
IMG_0244.JPG (114.01 KiB) Viewed 5690 times
IMG_0245.JPG
The top slide stripped down, including the unique boring table.
IMG_0245.JPG (91.48 KiB) Viewed 5690 times
IMG_0201.JPG
More crud to be cleaned out.
IMG_0201.JPG (128.39 KiB) Viewed 5690 times
Regards

Dazz