Viceroy T.D.S 1/1 GB Apron Reassemble

Read what other Denford users are doing with their machines and software.
Educational resources, ideas and courseware.
If you have a Denford related success story, please tell us about it here.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

dazz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Viceroy TDS 1/1GB lathe, Imperial, stripped down and rebuilt.
Viceroy Taper/Tracer attachment, Shop made cross slide tracer attachment, VSD.

Viceroy T.D.S 1/1 GB Apron Reassemble

Post by dazz » Sat 30 Sep , 2006 11:42 am

Hello

I stripped, cleaned and reassembled the apron. Despite the gunk, mechanically the apron and saddle is in good shape. No obvious signs of wear and tear.

The interlock pin prevents the lead screw and feedshaft being engaged at the same time. The lead screw adjustment pin needs to be set in the correct position. The optional dial indicator is also mounted on the adjustment pin. When in the right position, the interlock pin can be fully retracted (moved to the left as shown in the photo) to allow the feedshaft handle to rotate and engage the feedshaft. It's important to know this when reassembling.

Now that it's all bright and clean, it should be OK for another 30 years.
Attachments
IMG_0203.JPG
The assembled apron. Note the allen key. There are 4 set screws down that hole to locate the two shafts. The shafts have oil holes drilled down the centre.
IMG_0203.JPG (107.05 KiB) Viewed 15478 times
IMG_0204a.jpg
Details of the lead screw / feed shaft interlock.
IMG_0204a.jpg (39.18 KiB) Viewed 15477 times
IMG_0202.JPG
The apron fully stripped and cleaned.
IMG_0202.JPG (80.39 KiB) Viewed 15477 times
IMG_0196.JPG
27 years of crud, swarf and old oil.
IMG_0196.JPG (188.5 KiB) Viewed 15477 times
IMG_0192.JPG
2 of 2 photos showing parts of the apron laid out before cleaning
IMG_0192.JPG (151.05 KiB) Viewed 15477 times
IMG_0190.JPG
1 of 2 photos showing parts of the apron laid out before cleaning
IMG_0190.JPG (143.17 KiB) Viewed 15477 times
Regards

Dazz

dazz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Viceroy TDS 1/1GB lathe, Imperial, stripped down and rebuilt.

Post by dazz » Fri 16 Mar , 2007 9:59 am

Hi

Just an extra shot of the apron. A apron is upside down and complete. This is what it looked like before stripping and cleaning.
Attachments
IMG_0158a.jpg
IMG_0158a.jpg (134.97 KiB) Viewed 15209 times
Regards

Dazz

ASJ

Re: Viceroy T.D.S 1/1 GB Apron Reassemble

Post by ASJ » Fri 07 Apr , 2017 9:43 am

Hi,
Can anyone tell me if the apron on this lathe is supposed to be filled with oil? I had always assumed it had an oil bath in order to provide permanent lubrication for the internal components, however during a recent strip down, clean and rebuild of mine, it appeared to me that owing to the position of the oil cup, and the large opening in the back of the casting, the maximum oil level that could be achieved would not be high enough to reach any of the components. Not even the feed shaft worm drive seems to dip into the oil!
I am at a loss as to how this could provide effective lubrication.
The only other conclusion I can draw is that rather than being an oil "bath" it is actually a "sump" intended to collect the oil as it drips down from the various lubrication points higher up, and the oil cup on the side just provides a convenient way of checking when the sump reached maximum capacity and needs to be drained.
Does anyone know any different?

Thanks
Alex
Alex

dazz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Re: Viceroy T.D.S 1/1 GB Apron Reassemble

Post by dazz » Fri 07 Apr , 2017 11:24 am

Hi
The apron is definitely made to hold oil. The gears dip into the oil and carry it up into the apron.
There is a pin that indicates the correct level but the oil cup is set at a height that provides oil level. Just put oil into the cup until it nearly overflows.

The oiling points (including down the centre of the shafts) need regular oiling as well.

Dazz
Regards

Dazz