F1 Car Machine Setup issue

Read what other Denford users are doing with their machines and software.
Educational resources, ideas and courseware.
If you have a Denford related success story, please tell us about it here.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

knucklehead

F1 Car Machine Setup issue

Post by knucklehead » Tue 26 Sep , 2006 21:50 pm

Hi - I am trying to set up my microrouter to machine the F1 cars in the pupose made jig. The problem I am encountering is gettting the two halves of the car to line up. There is a step of approximately 1mm between the halves running along the base of the car. I have tried resetting the offsets a number of times, but am still getting the same problem. Could someone give me some advice please on how to fix this. Any assistance would be gratefully recieved.
Denford Microrouter
VR Milling 5.13
QuickCAM Pro
QuickCAM 4D

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 29 Sep , 2006 14:33 pm

Have a look at the Tutorials within QuickCAM Pro (Menu Help -> Tutorials)

This goes through to explain how to setup the offsets so you can machine both sides correctly in VR Milling - it also shows the use of the mirror command in VR Milling which means you only have to create one toolpath for both sides.

The key to avoiding shifts between each side is to get the tool position exactly on the centre of rotation of the fixture.
Attachments
D type F1 Manufacturing Guide.pdf
D Type (CO2 car) manufacturing guide
(1.15 MiB) Downloaded 3284 times

brose

Post by brose » Thu 19 Apr , 2007 12:08 pm

If you have solved your problem GREAT. If not give me a phone call and I will go through how we dealt with the same problem.
Bob Rose 0121 453 5448 Frankley CLC

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Thu 19 Apr , 2007 15:50 pm

The trick to getting rid of the ridge is to adjust the Y offset by half the size of the ridge.

This is because the error shows up an both the machined sides and so doubles up.

Once the Y offset is set and does not create a ridge write it down and dont move the fixture again.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 19 Apr , 2007 15:52 pm

You can also get tapered ridges if the fixture is not mounted in line with the axes of the machine (parallel)